123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want a Cube (at least something like it)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diulei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: I want a Cube (at least something like it) Reply with quote

Anyone here but me who wishes Apple would bring back something like the Cube?

As of now, if you want to use their (gorgeous) cinema displays, you have to get a Mac Mini or a PowerMac. Too big a of difference for me. $499 vs. $1999 for base models.

If Apple brought back the Cube, or just something in between the two ends and priced it around $999, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

What I'm thinking:

Form factor: Something around the size of the cube (3~4 times the height of the Mac Mini), making room for a 3.5" HD, starting at 120GB and ranging to 250GB.

Processor: 1.67GHz Intel Single Core to 2.0 GHz Core Duo

RAM: 512MB to 1GB, supporting up to 2GB

Video: Radeon 128MB to 256MB VRAM

Connectivity: 10/100 ethernet on base models, Gigabit ethernet + AE + BT on higher models

2 USB/1 FireWire 800 on the front (towards the bottom as to not ruin the looks)

3 USB/1 FireWire 800/1 FireWire 400 on the back.

I would price the models at $999, $1,099, and $1,199.

Basically it would range around iMac specs at the top, but not as powerful towards the lower end, but it would be marketed to a different crowd since it's not an all-in-one (which I dislike). I think I'd pick up a middle one ASAP if they announced this.

Yes, I'm quite bored...
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I want a Cube (at least something like it) Reply with quote

Keep an eye out on Ebay and get a REAL cube. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Influx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See sig Wink
Mac user since Aug 27 1956
boxcar182

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your idea, and I'm with you, I would pick up one of those in a heartbeat.
macfox

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same man, if Apple do release an updated Cube model in the future, I might considering buying it.

It would be nice if the Cube could be black with a glowing Apple logo, 3.5 " HDD, Dual Core, 64 Bit, 256 MB of Video Adapter, Airport Extreme and Bluetooh enabled.
Chayak

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cube? Just stack some minis then! Very Happy
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: hmmm a mod? Reply with quote

if you could get the logicboard and get it to fit in a cube case then use adapters and work from there, just not to sure on the graphics or I wonder if they make a micro ATX motherboard that is compatible that could use OS X.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a Cube and a G4 Mini and I like them both. Each has a different weakness. The Cube is much more upgradable, but limited by its 100 mhz bus. The Mini is less upgradable; the Intel Mini allows a processor upgrade but not a video card upgrade. The Cube uses cheaper full-size drives vs. the Mini with more expensive, slower 2.5" drives. The Cube has 3 RAM slots (vs. 2 in the Mini), but the former holds only 1.5 gb RAM (vs. 2 gb on Mini). Both Macs are quiet!

I like both form factors equally, and would not mind having the bigger Cube if it used the faster Mini components and allowed for more upgrading. Very Happy
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your Mini, external hard drive and other accessories, slap those in this thing....
http://monphoto.hp.infoseek.co.jp/all/annai-andcube.html

..... of course, if you can import it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei, I agree with you

I am purchasing an imac in a few motnhs but i was really considering getting a mac mini at first. But for my needs the SPECS in the imac are just right.

Yes I would love to easily add more ram in the future and bigger hard drives. I have owned 5 pcs in the last 10 years and I have gone through the experience of replacing broken cd roms, network cards, harddrives, ram, etc, and it has always been easy and cheap. When I get my Imac and something happens down the road (cd rom or hardware failure) i am not sure what will I do.

So having a smaller "Power mac mini" would be great. Something that you can upgrade on your own with components available everywhere (just like a no-brand pc) and with a pricetag around 1000 to 1500 would be awesome

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would mention the Apple Cinema Displays are fully compatible with any computer with a DVI connection, which is 95% of all repsectably spec'ed computers.

There is a gaping hole in the line, I agree.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boxcar182

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what they should do is reintroduce the 1,499 or an even cheaper version on the PowerMac/ Mac Pro
I think that would be a smart move.
Jet23

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, they could fill the hole with a powerful Mini, or a stripped Pro, but aren't "Mac Mini Pro" or "Mac Pro Mini" oxymorons? Either way, the names cancel each other out, and end up just "Mac."

Why can't Apple come up with a computer that is just a "Mac." It wouldn't cannabalize the Mini or the Pro. The one computer it might take away from would be the iMac, but the iMac would still have its nich (people just getting into computers who want to just buy the whole package in one deal).

It would have a 3.5 inch HD (as many have said)

Starting at 1.8, and going up to 2.3 (with the middle being 2.0) Core 2 Duo (Conroe)

Have a decent amount of USB and Firewire ports (6 USB, 4 Firewire), located (as someone said) on the bottom. It would actually come with a keyboard and mouse (no display, obviously), and have a decent super drive. The computer would be significantly smaller than the Mac Pro, but significantly larger than the Mac Mini. Unleash Mr. Ives on it, and I'm sure it will look great.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet23 wrote:
Technically, they could fill the hole with a powerful Mini, or a stripped Pro, but aren't "Mac Mini Pro" or "Mac Pro Mini" oxymorons? Either way, the names cancel each other out, and end up just "Mac."

Why can't Apple come up with a computer that is just a "Mac." It wouldn't cannabalize the Mini or the Pro. The one computer it might take away from would be the iMac, but the iMac would still have its nich (people just getting into computers who want to just buy the whole package in one deal).

It would have a 3.5 inch HD (as many have said)

Starting at 1.8, and going up to 2.3 (with the middle being 2.0) Core 2 Duo (Conroe)

Have a decent amount of USB and Firewire ports (6 USB, 4 Firewire), located (as someone said) on the bottom. It would actually come with a keyboard and mouse (no display, obviously), and have a decent super drive. The computer would be significantly smaller than the Mac Pro, but significantly larger than the Mac Mini. Unleash Mr. Ives on it, and I'm sure it will look great.

There is a more in-depth current discussion about a "Mac" on this thread....
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6896&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: