123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hi!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sincil

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: hi! Reply with quote

Hi folks!

Glad to find a site and forum dedicated to the Mac Mini. I suppose you could call me a switcher as my old main machine was an XP machine which I've now sold(!)

Although I'm not new to Apple, I am new to OS X, which I'm loving! I have a Unix background so its the best of both worlds for me! Smile

My other Macs are a 4400/200 (my old old main machine) which runs OS 8.6. I also used to use Macs back in the 68k days, and still have (and use) my:

Macintosh SE/30 8MB/1GB
Macintosh Classic 16MB/1GB/40MHz accelerator

Also, my home webserver is a beefed-up LC475, which can be found at http://jobf.kicks-ass.org

If you have any Macintosh 68K questions, I'm your man! Smile

Anyway, got my 1.4GHz, 512MB, 80GB, Superdrive Mini in late March, and have purchased Tiger for it (being a teacher means the edu discount is very handy!).

Bought an old iMac keyboard off eBay and a nice Logitech scroll mouse and I have it hooked up to my Sony/SGI 20" CRT monitor. I've also purchased a Griffin iMic and a Bluetooth dongle.

My plans - well I may pick up a flat screen panel soon - those Dell widescreen ones look niiiiice! But my main priority is picking up an external firewire drive. These new things that sit under the Mini are looking good, especially with the hub capabilities etc, so I'll probably pick one of those up in the next few months.

Anyway, theres the intro!

Cheers

Steve
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I'm looking to pick up a miniMate, M9 or ADS one as well. I'd like to boot from FireWire to speed things up and could use the extra USB ports. You've got to be loving OS X!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from the Macintosh SE/30 8MB/1GB and Macintosh Classic 16MB/1GB/40MHz accelerator the Mac mini must seem like a speed demon! Very Happy Welcome to the forums!
iLife's a Bitch!
bouldergeek

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a huge supporter and hacker of the old compact macs, back in the late '80s. Then I got into NeXT and built a UNIX career. ;-D

The mini seems to have that old-school vibe from the compact Macs. It has wide appeal.

As an owner of a Dell 2005FPW widescreen, I recommend it. They were down to $397 yesterday with coupons. Check Techbargains.com frequently, and you can get sub-$400 for the widescreen or $250 for the 1280x1024 19" normal 4:3 LCD.

I just got a 1.25 Mini for my aunt and outfitted it with a Dell USB keyboard and mouse and a Dell 15" analog LCD. Works and looks great. I'm sure DVi would look better than analog, but hey, it was $150 shipped.

The Dell KB's volume buttons even work right out of the box!

Have fun with your new toy. I can't wait until Mini v.2
sincil

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bouldergeek wrote:
I was a huge supporter and hacker of the old compact macs, back in the late '80s. Then I got into NeXT and built a UNIX career. ;-D

The mini seems to have that old-school vibe from the compact Macs. It has wide appeal.

As an owner of a Dell 2005FPW widescreen, I recommend it. They were down to $397 yesterday with coupons. Check Techbargains.com frequently, and you can get sub-$400 for the widescreen or $250 for the 1280x1024 19" normal 4:3 LCD.

I just got a 1.25 Mini for my aunt and outfitted it with a Dell USB keyboard and mouse and a Dell 15" analog LCD. Works and looks great. I'm sure DVi would look better than analog, but hey, it was $150 shipped.

Yep, unfortunately, I'm in the UK, and they are priced on Ebay at about 350 ($700). To buy one new from Dell is about 400 - just a shade under $800 bux.

I'll stick with my 20" CRT for a bit me thinks!

As a comparison, my Mini was 467.00 after edu discount - I'll let you work that one out Wink

Yes I could have ordered one from the US, but I would get stung 17.5% import tax, plus no edu discount. So probably just about not worth it!

Last edited by sincil on Thu May 19, 2005 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
sincil

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post sorry!
bouldergeek

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sincil wrote:
bouldergeek wrote:

Yep, unfortunately, I'm in the UK, and they are priced on Ebay at about 350 ($700). To buy one new from Dell is about 400 - just a shade under $800 bux.

I'll stick with my 20" CRT for a bit me thinks!

As a comparison, my Mini was 467.00 after edu discount - I'll let you work that one out Wink

Yes I could have ordered one from the US, but I would get stung 17.5% import tax, plus no edu discount. So probably just about not worth it!

On the upside, you can get a pint of real ale any time for 1.30. It costs us $4 (maybe $2.50 on happy hour).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: