123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video game double standard..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Video game double standard.. Reply with quote

I posted this on 1up.com as one of my blogs..

Quote:
There is a double standard with video games, as compared especially to movies. You have people like California State Governor Arnold Schwarzeneggar, who star in some of the most violent movies, try to pass bills that prohibit violent video games. I personally don't see how a game like God of War is too violent. Especially given the fact it occurs in a fantasy reality. It's violent doesn't occur against real humans. But then you can take a movie like, the Hills have Eyes, you can not say it does contain "too graphic violence". Even movies with historical merit can contain violence that would otherwise be prohibited in video games. A prime example is Saving Private Ryan, which is not only an entertaining movie, but provides a good historical account. It however does have graphic violence.

The main thing that is going wrong with violence today is not the games. It is easy to play the blame game and point to video games. As I'm sure the same was said for movies when they were becoming popular. But what is really the core issue with teens committing violence, is not the "influence" of video games. It's the poor parenting of todays parents. If there were proper moral teachings between the parents and their offspring, the youth would better understand it is ONLY entertainment. They would better understand the consequences of their actions and have the proper moral code to know what is right or wrong. You have to look at all these youth that commit crimes and say they were inspired by a game. If you look deeper into their history, you will usually see more than often, a failure of parenting of some type. Most parents slap their kids in front of the TV and use it as a babysitter. Or don't even involve them in their lives once they reach a certain age. When it all comes down to it, people would rather blame video games, than admit they are indeed bad parents.

Not everything can be put onto parents, there is also some blame to be put upon the education system as well. Schools today are mostly failing its students. And that blame can be squarely put upon the United States Government and State/local Governments. That is because there is more spending on developing the newest bomb to blow up terrorists. Than there is money going into our education. This is especially true in big cities, particularly inner city youth.

So when it all comes down to it, you can't blame video games or movies or TV. But you have to look at who is teaching the right morals and value to that youth. Whether it is poor or proper parenting, which can make a big difference. Or if it is the inadequate education system that only teaches too basic of issues. Yes there is influence of peers, but as a parent, it is their job to say who they can be friends with or not. Even if their kid will hate them for it, sometimes that decision needs to be made. So again, it does fall upon the parents.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be an election year. Laughing
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: stupid politics Reply with quote

First off idave nice avatar.
Now why is it that any partial nudity (breasts, butt) is automatically contriversal, yet anyone of any age could look in a book or go online and find full nudity in pictures of gods (I did this in a report for English in a cultures unit before school let out) and the government says it's covered under the 1st amendment? Now isn't harder to buy a game than go to a library and find a book, especially a book on anatomy, and see the same or even more severe images of violence or nudity (why I'm not going to be a Democrap or Republican't, I'm think some off base party)?

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: