123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's your Boot Camp experience been so far?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: How's your Boot Camp experience been so far? Reply with quote

I'm finally getting an Intel Mini this month, which means I can sell off my remaining PC hardware and rely on XP via Boot Camp for my Windows needs. How has your experience been so far? Is it reliable enough to, well, rely on? I require XP for my work and school software, but for everything else I will be using OS X. Fill me in on your experiences!
FastEddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get over any small glitches you may encounter during installation XP is solid. I did have what seemed to be a compatibility issue with NIS so I installed Panda and am protected. Im still looking for an all in one backup solution to cover both partitions in one shot.
kaidomac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastEddy wrote:
Once you get over any small glitches you may encounter during installation XP is solid. I did have what seemed to be a compatibility issue with NIS so I installed Panda and am protected. Im still looking for an all in one backup solution to cover both partitions in one shot.

Small glitches like what?
FastEddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only glitch I ran into was the drivers not installing properly the first time. XP booted up fine but I had no KB or Mouse.

I had to do a Repair install and the drivers loaded just fine the 2nd time. I have no idea what happened but its up and running now so it’s a moot point for me and not worth the time to find out why. The end result is all I was after.

I, as well as every Mini user have 3 hardware errors in the system. As far as I can tell they are: No driver for iSight, no driver for the Remote, and no driver for ???? (One of the Audio functions???)
Han_Solo_Core

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been really happy with it. Very good for software which is only in beta. It pretty much runs fast & flawless -- aside from some known issues mentioned on this forum already. (eg - internal speaker does not mute when external speakers plugged in, occasional USB issues)

If you've got an Intel Mac and a copy of XP, there's no reason not to give it a try. Apple's install instructions are very good too.
threeshardvisage

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

running games under boot camp seems to work quite well. I've currently only tried a couple, but the fact that now I can play all the not GOTY games that my friends rave about is good enough for me. I don't know if there is a link on this page, but this link:
http://www.macfixit.com/bootcamp/
has a list of programs a casual pc swinger would need to "get it on" without getting any nasty viruses.
-miles
iBookmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it starts up it runs fine. I just can't get XP to start up properly half the time. When it stops loading XP after about 2 minutes of letting it try to startup, I just hit the power button for 5 seconds and shut it down. Then restart, hold down option, select Windows and hold down F8 to startup in safe mode with networking. When doing that XP startsup fine and runs the few apps I need to run and can connect to my other Macs and file share. I lose the XP interface in safe mode. It looks like Windows 98.
iBookmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Windows doesn't like my MiniStack Reply with quote

Those booting problems I posted earlier with Windows XP were from the MiniStack. I unplugged the MiniStack and it booted fine. I guess I need to see if there are any drivers for the MiniStack for XP so it doesn't freak out and not want to boot.
sross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had problems initially then i stumbled onto a torrent claiming to be an xp sp2 install catering to bootcamp users. I switched to that and it is 100% perfect. I love this.. too cool! Smile Smile Smile
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems at all installing BC. Windows works fine.

Folding on a Intel Mini
noah07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the only point that I had to spent a little time; but it's not a problem. It's only why the installation of drivers is working a little fast.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6007

I had no other problems; and it's working very fine. But I'm a new switcher to Mac's ( it's my third week, and had never used a Mac before ) I booted only a few times in XP. I was used to XP and had had no problems with it, the reasons I switch : the beauty of MacMINI. The result: Mac OSX makes the Mini more beautiful Smile
Apple Wireless Keyboard / Wireless Mighty Mouse
Alexis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you saw my post in another topic, but I'm just making sure I get the answer i'm looking for.
I use bootcamp, but Windows does not seem to install properly. I get this message
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll in missing or corrupt, reinstall this file and bla bla bla.
So i was wondering if any of you guys experienced this problem so far.
I tried to download another hal.dll file and copy it in the system32 directory, but didn't work either.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: