123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KVM confusion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: KVM confusion? Reply with quote

I need a KVM to control a Shuttle PC and iMac from my Logitech MX700 combo. I'd also like to use extended desktop and span to my 17" Viewsonic LCD. Am I right in saying it's not possible?

I assume that if I retain output from the PC on the Viewsonic then I can't run extended desktop?

The Viewsonic is old and has only a VGA D-sub connector so if I keep it connected to the PC what KVM would I need - USB & VGA or would that not suit the iMac?

KVMs usually share one monitor/mouse/keyboard between two computers and that's not the case here so I'm confused!

Advice appreciated.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are wanting to do is easily doable. Get a standard USB/VGA KVM. Hook your keyboard, mouse, and LCD monitor to the KVM. Hook the KVM to your PC's VGA and USB connections. Hook the KVM to your iMac's VGA<>miniDVI adapter (you'll have to buy one of these if you don't already have one) and USB connections. When the iMac is selected, you'll have your extended desktop. When the PC is selected, you'll see your PC display on the LCD display. done!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's great many thanks!

I've just found that the Viewsonic accepts two VGA connections and can switch to the active one, wonder if that will help or hinder?

I'm wondering which KVM to get and looking at Belkin. I have an upright Belkin firewire hub and thought I'd match it with an upright KVM like the Soho series but the Omniview seem much cheaper - any thoughts?

iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
I'm wondering which KVM to get and looking at Belkin. I have an upright Belkin firewire hub and thought I'd match it with an upright KVM like the Soho series but the Omniview seem much cheaper - any thoughts?

Whatever floats your boat. I typically hide my KVM from view, so appearance is never really a factor for me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

I meant on the two different versions is one any better than the other?

iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
LOL

I meant on the two different versions is one any better than the other?

Don't have any personal experience with either. I'm sure they both do an adequate job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: