123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAM Upgrade - In the UK (Can our US pals help me?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: RAM Upgrade - In the UK (Can our US pals help me?) Reply with quote

Hi there,

So, after around 6 years of thinking about it.... I have been converted.
As a web developer I have worked on Macs occasionally and OSX really got my juices flowing.

I need to up my memory as mp3's tent to judder when I am working, so perhaps a 1GB stick would be good... here's where YOU can help me.

If you are in the UK and have already upgraded your Mac Mini with a new stick of RAM then please let me know the details about where you got it from and how much it cost.... I have tried my PC RAM but think it didn't work due to the CAS latency being 2.5. (Max price 75 if possible)

If you are in the US, then a big hi to you - One day I'll be joining you in the land of the free, until then it might be useful if anyone can think of a way of buying some memory for me (mainly because it is cheap!) and sending it over here as a present. I'm sure that I can sort out payment via paypal etc... except it wouldn't really be payment.... more of a gift <wink>.

We get overcharged a little here in the UK and I'd love a 1GB stick of RAM for around $100 plus say $20 shipping.... I dont knoww of any sites that do worldwide shipping from the US, but perhaps if you do - you could let me know.

Meanwhile - Thanks for the atmosphere on these boards. I go to a LOT of forums and message boards and this one is somewhere I'll be calling home for a good while to come.

Lets hope that I can upgrade soon... I've already tried the pizza wheel to open the unit, and it was great - No damage at all... well done whoever suggested that!

Regards,
Gavin

PS - I do my bit for the folks in the US.... I make web games for them to play, but due to my contract can't say who for.
kleintjemac

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Upgrading Reply with quote

Well, i live in the Netherlands and have good experience with www.macsales.com

Prices are right, and they give good support!

And sending it from the USA to holland only took 2 days!!

Succes,

And really, 1Gb does make a huge difference!! performance goes up!

WB
Gavin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: 512MB Reply with quote

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=71469

Here's a product that is quite cheap over here.

Now, in order to get the right memory - What EXACT SPEC IS REQUIRED?

CAS 2.5 or 3?
ECC or Non ECC?
I know either 3200 or 2700 is OK.

It's just a little confusing that some retailers dont always specify these details!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non ECC and get the lowest CAS latency you can find...2.5 is faster than 3.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
DoFa

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newegg.com has 1GB sticks for $77. Check to see if they ship. If they don't I could order it for you and ship it.
Gavin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowest CAS latency?

I stupidly (doh!) thought higher was right for the Mac, as the 256 stick states CAS3.

A friend over here has let me have 512MB from his PC and it's currently working just fine in my Mac Mini. I would still be interested in that Newegg.com 1GB stick for $77 though, so I'll see if they deliver to the UK... although I doubt it.

Additional
======

Does Newegg.com ship internationally?
Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.

So what do I do now? How would I arrange payment to someone and also manage to not get robbed! Very Happy I guess there is always Ebay.
DoFa

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email me. I'll do it for you. acs @mebtel.net

check my ebay feedback

ID kplusk
Gavin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to evryone for making me feel like I am not backed up against a wall here. Smile

I had a quick look on EBay, and FastMemoryman had a stick BUYNOW... at less than 60 including shipping.

Now this is around the $100 mark - BUT I shouldn't have to pay and import Tax on this, and it cuts down the worry so to speak.

thanks to you all for helping, and I hope to contribute some ideas back as I find my feet.

I can recommend a D-Link DWL-122 to any new Mac owner wanting USB wifi... make sure you get the latest drivers... they are NOT D-Link ones by the way... I can't remeember where to get the driver info from on my Mac... if you need the driver version, and know where to find it - PM me.

I also think the Mac is flexible with external USB optical writers... perhaps someone can back me up here?

Anyways.... thank you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: