123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead Mini deep troubles with Boot Camp and more (long post)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject: Dead Mini deep troubles with Boot Camp and more (long post) Reply with quote

I bought a Mini yesterday in Taiwan, added RAM total 2GB. I tried the Parallels software as I am a very occcasional Windows user yet some phone software (Motorola, Samsung) only interfaces with Windows. Parallels did not work as The Motorola Software didn't recognize the original Apple Bluethoot, and I had no way to install the BootCamp Mac Drivers in the Parallels software ( a message provented me to do so) I tried to connect my A1200 phone trough the Motorola USB cable still the Parallels VM didn't allow me to connecct to the phone. At this point I unsinstalled Parallels and Used Boot Camp, (second choice to me as I can't see both at once).
Boot Camp worked fine, not only with the MOTOROLA A1200 software in every mode, even acccepted the Motorola BlueTooth adaptor and its specific drivers. The Phone worked fine. Just as well more software and hardware combos in the Midi area worked perfectly.
As I wasn't able to get both screens at the same time I decided to install Windows as FAT32 to be able to at least see the files on the desktop as I stay in the Apple mode. Probably made my first major error.
I rebooted with the System Disk. Reformatted the Mini Drive making a 10 GB partition for Windows.
Relaunched the Mini and I had both disks on the desktop.
Installed and lunched BootCamp, told the soft I already had the drivers and moved on the next screen to install Windows XP from my CD.
I choose to install it on the FAT32 partition. While previously I was able to install and Windows formatted the partition in his NTNF, this time Windows died on me maybe half way through the process. I saw a balck screen with a message telling me to enter any Key to reboot. Nothing happened.
Tried to boot again with option down and I had the Mac Partition, the Windows partition and the WindowsXP install CD. I choose the XPinstall to get back to the same screen asking to press any key to continue.
Rebooted and still the Mac partition was fine. I rebooted with the Install Disk on as I wanted to repartiotion everything but I received a message telling me the Installer wasn't designed for that hardware.
At this point I restarted again with the option key on the still working Mac Partition, I choose to reboot the machine in the Firewire connectiong it with my PowerBook G4.
The firewire Mode happened succesfully, and I had all partitions on the Powerbook screen. Erased everything, relunched the Mini with the Installer and the C key pressed. I saw a floating grey empty folder Icon.
Rebooted in the Firewire Mode. Reerased it with the Powerbook choosing the write zero option.
Nothing changed.
I can't figure out how to bring the MINI back to life. Also I would like to know what I should and shouldn't do while fooling around with Windows partitions and more

Any hints?

Regards

Dan Wan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not own an intel mac, but was that with the Windows CD or the Mac OS X one that said it wasn't compatible with the hardware? Also, did you erase the whole drive? If so, insert the Mac OS X disk and start your mac up holding C.
johnodd4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: this is why you do not use paralles Reply with quote

mac boot camp works better anyways here is your problem once you partitioned the hard drive to run windows inside mac os x and the hard dive crashed your hard drive now contains 2 hard drive partitions which you cannot remove unless you reinstall os x and paralles but have fun getting mac os x back on the hard drive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: