123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will it care?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: will it care? Reply with quote

I have some very cheap Windowsdiscs I got that it should be considered a steal Laughing Laughing , so I think you should get what I mean. Anyway will BootCamp regognize non-genuine versions of Windows or does it not care since Apple really hates Windows after Bill stole from Steve.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if a pirated copy of windows wil work.

As far as I understand it, the fact windows is installed on a mac is a moot point.

Windows only knows it it on a machine with an Intel CPU with a Intel grahics chip etc.

It will still have to call home for activation.

Rolling Eyes

Folding on a Intel Mini
ryanhejka

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can use burnt copies of windows but make sure it is service pack 2. I accidently installed service pack 1 on my imac and it wont load into windows and cant find osx has anyone elses had that problem and do they know how to fix it?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: I do have home Reply with quote

I have a Home disc from my laptop, But this very cheap disc is Pro.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
SportsterCat69

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I can help here. Yes it will work, and no it doesn't care "where" the particular install in question came from. If your install came with "aids" to help your install then it most likely will not "call home" for activation. Also, don't believe the hype that Media Center can not be loaded, or a lot of the other things Apple said. They want to make sure that you have an easy experience loading windows. They wrote boot camp to handle XP sp2, but most any XP will work with some tweaking. I run Media Center on my Mini, loaded via a bootable DVD. That fixed the one disk install issue. I think my install probably came from the same source as yours! Wink So yes it does work. Arrrrrrrgh!
FastEddy

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will run into "Window Update" Issues using a home brew copy or a spam mail download. The above post was correct. It will not authenticate for live updates but will run.

The issue is safety. There are so many updates that are "Critical" due to holes and security issues that you will over time be more acceptable to viruses and possible intrusion.

With that said, you made a choice and will need to evaluate your situation and determine if your willing to take the risk. A full version of XP Home (OEM) is available for $99.00 someplace less and some places a bit more. If you decide to get one and cant find it for that price PM me and Ill hook you up.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: I have real serials Reply with quote

I have the real serials...for the Middle East.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go buy the damn software. If you're a student you can get XP Home cheaper than $100 I believe. Pro basically just offers multi-user features that a normal user doesn't need as well as multi-processor support. I am not sure if this applies to dual-core systems.

On that note, Boot Camp is nothing really special. It's a BIOS emulator and a Windows XP driver CD. If you can find drivers for the machine for other OSes, then you could use your Mac with those OSes just fine.

On that note, just install the software and see if it works. It should work fine. Also, there are workarounds for WGA, though that's all I'm gonna say about that.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the OEM version of XP Home (with SP2) from NewEgg for $89.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SportsterCat69

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree here.....definately BUY the software. I do not condone pirating, I was simply stating that yes technically it WILL work. The point about updates is a very valid one, and worth serious consideration, considering all the security issues with windows these days. I do not recommend Home at any price...even if it is free. Home just has to many issues, and the networking side is as twitchy as a land mine Wink. I have used all versions, if you want just XP spend the $$ and get Pro...you'll have a much better experience trust me. Otherwise Media Center '05 is a great version....basically just Pro with MC additions though. MC is only available as OEM install though, you can purchase it on ebay legitimately.
ninjamini

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I know that everyone here is all anti pirating and all and while I full and whole heartily agree when it comes to software and music and movies...Bill Gates is the exception. What he has done over the years to suppress other software makers and stifle other companies. OOOoooo it gets by blood boiling.

Now I know that the computer industry would not be what it is today if it was not for Bill. But damm him if I am gonna....

Also I worked with Microsoft...launched one of there big consumer products. They stink as a company, as a business partner, as a industry leader. As much as they did to help the industry in the early days they have stifled it in the last 10 years. OOOoooo there I go again.

So go and take what you need from bill. I spit on him.

Sorry for the rant but you all got me going.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never bought microsoft products and I never will. I would also agree that without the updates windows is a serious liability to your computer. Many of the things that can happen will not only cause problems with your windows partition but could easily cause problems with your osX install. Beware!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you guys come up with some unique avatars. The Intel core duo is a little too popular. It makes it a lot easier to follow a post when you can look at the avatar and quickly identify who is saying what.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

MC is like Pro, but with MC features and less of the features that are aimed at the prosumer.

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjamini wrote:
OK I know that everyone here is all anti pirating and all and while I full and whole heartily agree when it comes to software and music and movies...Bill Gates is the exception. What he has done over the years to suppress other software makers and stifle other companies. OOOoooo it gets by blood boiling.

Now I know that the computer industry would not be what it is today if it was not for Bill. But damm him if I am gonna....

Also I worked with Microsoft...launched one of there big consumer products. They stink as a company, as a business partner, as a industry leader. As much as they did to help the industry in the early days they have stifled it in the last 10 years. OOOoooo there I go again.

So go and take what you need from bill. I spit on him.

Sorry for the rant but you all got me going.

You can do whatever you want, but try to keep the piracy off the forums. I don't care if Bill Gates ate your baby, piracy is illegal. End of story. Now a Mac is just like any other computer now that it has BIOS emulation. So it'll run pretty much anything. So have at it.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: