123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying an imac, few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdsalinas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Buying an imac, few questions Reply with quote

hi

I have decided to get an imac but I am still deciding weather to get a the 17" or 20" model.

The 17" seems even smaller than the current regular 17" that I have. Somehow the fact that is wider makes it look smaller next to mine.

I am going to use it mainly for design work and internet. I not big on games but I would love to try a few. How good do games play on the imacs? Is there a list of games that run great on the imac? and also, is
How weel do PC games run in boot camp? Is there a website just like 123macmini exclusively for imacs?

thanks

Hector Salinas

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to get a 19"-20" 16:10 widescreen to have the same screen height as a standard 4:3 17" monitor.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing (IMHO) about the 20" imac is the availability of 256MB of video memory.

Both the 17" and 20" start with 128MB but only the 20" is upgradeable.

This can only be done when you order your imac, cannot be added later Sad

Folding on a Intel Mini
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Buying an imac, few questions Reply with quote

hdsalinas wrote:
hi

I have decided to get an imac but I am still deciding weather to get a the 17" or 20" model.

The 17" seems even smaller than the current regular 17" that I have. Somehow the fact that is wider makes it look smaller next to mine.

I have the 17" and while I thought the screen smaller than my 4:3 LCD it makes no difference in the end as the widescreen resolution is so good on the iMac. Obviously the 20" is better still.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the games in BootCamp will run at full speed as if it was a regular PC in a nicer package.

The Mac platform has all the major games, but don't expect them immediately after release or all the little games to compatible with the Mac platform - BootCamp is really a great idea for gamers and if the specs suit you, then you will see the same performance you would get in OS X as you would in Windows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying an imac, few questions Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
I have the 17" and while I thought the screen smaller than my 4:3 LCD it makes no difference in the end as the widescreen resolution is so good on the iMac. Obviously the 20" is better still.

I have today bought the mini DVI <> VGA adaptor and I'm running my Viewsonic 17" as an extended desktop. I must say it's extremely useful. Perhaps you could do the same, I'd certainly recommend it.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
hdsalinas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have decided to hold my purchase until nov/dec. I read that there is a chance that the new OS may be out soon as well a the new intel chips.

This will give me time to save $$$ for some more for extra stuff like ram, upgraded video card, wireless keyboard and mouse. and get the 20" imac.

I am giving my younger brother the 17" LCD monitor, but adding it as an extended desktop sounds great too... hmmm., sorry bro.

The bad news is the part of putting up with my windows PC for a few more months Sad

Thanks for all your input!

Current PC: (yes a PC, But I am getting a mac soon)
P4 2.4ghz (Northwood)
1 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, CD/DVD+RW
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are being "smart" about it. Good for you. Save that money. Computers that are paid for are much nicer than computers that seem dated and you are still making payments on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: