123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ping Intel iMac users - re. the beach ball...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: ping Intel iMac users - re. the beach ball... Reply with quote

I'm only a couple of weeks into my iMac but from the outset I noticed the beach ball even when just booting from cold and it pops up when I'm copying stuff or running apps.

As I bought a stock 512Mb iMac with the intention of upgrading the memory to 2Gb I haven't been too worried about this. However I've just installed Onyx and I find I have a stealth upgrade to 1Gb and that does worry me because I am now concerned that 2Mb won't make as much of a difference as I'd hoped.

Anyone care to reassure me?

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Intel iMac users - re. the beach ball... Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
As I bought a stock 512Mb iMac with the intention of upgrading the memory to 2Gb I haven't been too worried about this. However I've just installed Onyx and I find I have a stealth upgrade to 1Gb and that does worry me because I am now concerned that 2Mb won't make as much of a difference as I'd hoped.

I have a 20" iMac with a full 2GB and I RARELY see the beachball at all. (mainly only when running apps under Rosetta...and then not even all the time)

Do you have a lot of apps starting upon login?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only address book aside from any that load by default. It's not networked to any other computer and has an ethernet connection to my Linksys router.

Actually I have quite a few issues just in the last 48 hours.

I tend to put the iMac to sleep between uses rather than shutting down (I shut down my PCs overnight unless running p2p etc). 48 hours ago after I'd woken it a couple of times during the day the iMac froze after waking up and the only app active was Address book.

No matter what I did the iMac was unresponsive save for minimising the address book which got stuck on screen in animation mode. I could not quit Address either from the task bar, right clicking the Dock icon or choosing the Apple icon. All I could do was hold down the power button to reboot.

Then yesterday I had a few apps open when OS X appears to have crashed again. Again couldn't close them or force quit so another reboot.

No so diffferent to XP so far....

This morning iPhoto refused to load or at least crashed before opening the library when called from Photo booth. Again I couldn't force quit the app and had to reboot.

iMovie "Magic Movie" imported footage but didn't do anything further. Letterboxing the imported footage wasn't an awful lot faster than the same process on my G3 (at least it didn't appear so).

Tried repair permissions from Onyx after that but otherwise I don't have an idea how to address this?

Chayak

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tiger&Number=763164&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that tried repair permissions and the hardware test but all was OK.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: ping Intel iMac users - re. the beach ball... Reply with quote

Tenex wrote:
I find I have a stealth upgrade to 1Gb

Since when did anyone get a free RAM upgrade?

The stealth upgrade was only on 1.5GHz minis (1.5GHz instead of 1.42GHz). In addition, yhey had 64MB video RAM instead of 32MB.
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Intel iMac users - re. the beach ball... Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Tenex wrote:
I find I have a stealth upgrade to 1Gb

Since when did anyone get a free RAM upgrade?

The stealth upgrade was only on 1.5GHz minis (1.5GHz instead of 1.42GHz). In addition, yhey had 64MB video RAM instead of 32MB.

Hey I'm amazed too - this sort of thing NEVER happens to me! The box says 512Mb but there's 2x512Mb in there according to system profiler.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: