123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you participate in DC projects?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macaholic

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Do you participate in DC projects? Reply with quote

Do any members here participate in Distributed Computing projects? If so, what, why, and how did you hear about it? I first started out with the Classic SETI@home project in order to put my private Apple hardware collection to work, but grew tired of analyzing the same data over and over again. Then, I heard about the Folding@home project whilst putting Google to good use and decided that the merits of the research being conducted were much more deserving of my spare CPU cycles. Feel free to stop by Team MacOS X to learn more about the Folding@home project and meet even more friendly forum folks. Smile
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is InCrease a UB yet?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Macaholic

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Is InCrease a UB yet?

No. Calxalot has been working hard to update for the Intel Macs. You can still use the current version for both PowerPC and Intel Macs. InCrease being a universal binary will not make a difference with folding speed. It is only a GUI application to give the folding command line client ease of use. The Pande Group must release native cores for the Intel Macs in order to realize native speeds. Stop by the forums for more details. Smile
susato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Folding@Home on my core duo mini (1.66 GHz, 2 Gb RAM) with both the Rosetta-ized OSX cores (daytime, when I'm using OSX) and with the Windows client andd cores under Boot Camp, nights and weekends. Parallels Desktop will be the next move as it will let me run either a Windows client or a Linux folding client (or two!) while still using OSX applications.

Before installing Boot Camp I folded for several weeks under OSX alone. OK, progress wasn't as fast, but the project is well worth doing, and the mini certainly had spare cycles to contribute, even without booting Windows.

I'm absolutely delighted with my mini - it replaced a five year old 533 MHz G4 Digital Audio and is faster, quieter, cooler, more versatile, cuter, and has given me - at last - ample legroom under my desk. Smile

Did you guys catch Macaholic's "Meromac mini" ? That little beauty is folding too. Way to go! Way to benchmark! Laughing
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did SETI many years ago.

I am currently a member of Team Mac OS X for F@H with my buddy Macaholic.

My stats: Cory_Cooper
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What got you guys involved with F@H?
susato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this may be a long answer to a short question, but here goes.

I first heard about F@H from a fellow crusader in the anti-spam community who had a link to the project in his .sig. (Others on our team got the word from friends, family members, forum posts or this feature article at apple.com) Checked out the website and wow! the project had it all.

- A great cause, studying cancer and Alzheimer's disease with an approach highly likely to lead to more effective treatments (dare I say cures?) and preventive measures.

- Serious science - a track record of several articles per year in top peer reviewed science journals, and with datasets available to other researchers upon request (not hidden in some corporate vault)

- No-hassle installation of their software, which is secure, stays in the background, and doesn't require any specialized knowledge to run

- a team structure, where participants have the option of joining a "folding team" for mutual support, camaraderie and a little friendly inter-team rivalry. Or, you can participate without any team affiliation.

- Genuinely nice people on the team I joined (Team MacOS X), and throughout the project. I only found out about this later, after becoming active in the team forum, but it's been one of the greatest rewards of participating.

I now fold with a Core Duo Mini, a G5 2 GHz duallie, and several sub-1-GHz G4 and G3 machines at home and at work. True believer? Yep, you bet!

I hope you'll take a moment to visit the project website or the Team MacOS X home page or "getting started" page and check out Folding@Home for yourself. Thanks!
therealduckie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I just watched a commercial advertisement.

Time for a shower.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
susato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, geez, the guy asked.
treadlightly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got involved with F@H and Team Mac OS X because it's an easy way for me to put my computer to full use and do some good in this world with it. I looked around my office, and the computers were left on all the time. I looked around my house and saw the same thing, so I started running F@H on them to put them to good use.

The more personal reason is that my family has had a history of Alzheimer's. I'd prefer that researchers come up with some treatments or a possible cure before I have to worry about whether or not I get it, and this is an easy way to contribute a little bit toward that effort! Good friend with Parkinson's...same deal.

It's that simple (and important) to me. A lot of us promote it simply because we're serious about the science that it's accomplishing. The Stanford site makes the (more than) 35 published papers available for viewing to those who doubt the science.
Macaholic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:

Point iTunes to MacOSG Podcast 8 and you can actually listen to my reasons. Much easier for folks to listen, than me taking the time to keyboard it all down and then be accused of commercial advertising. Wink
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macaholic wrote:
aquaman wrote:

Point iTunes to MacOSG Podcast 8 and you can actually listen to my reasons. Much easier for folks to listen, than me taking the time to keyboard it all down and then be accused of commercial advertising. Wink

Will do! I didn't know you did their podcast. Cool
Cory Cooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Macaholic was the featured Member Spotlight on that episode.

Smile
VT N0362 2x2 G5; 4GB
Xserve (SL) 2x1.33 G4; 2GB
QS 2002 2x1 G4; 1.5GB
128K 8 68000
8 other Macs and an Apple //e
Greentimbers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined Very Happy
Hope it is working.

Folding on a Intel Mini
treadlightly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear! Cool

Make sure you ask if you have questions or issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: