123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How good is DVI to the average eye

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amightywind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: How good is DVI to the average eye Reply with quote

First off: I got my Mini 1.42 and it rules! Very Happy

Second:
I have a Dell 17 inch lcd that only has VGA in. I was thinking of buying a Viewsonic or Apple display with DVI. Is there really a big difference between VGA and DVI to the naked eye?
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think it comes down to the display as well. I had a 17" widescreen ViewSonic DVI connected LCD with my G4 PowerMac and although the display was nice the display I purchased from Apple is probably one of the best I have ever seen. I have been told that Samsung makes some excellent LCD displays with clarity very close to the Apple displays, might be worth a look.

Bottom line, if you are happy with the current display and it suits your needs I would not run out and buy a new display to go with your new Mini unless you want to go up in size. Jumping into the current line of Apple displays starts at $999 so its a pricey decision.
12" 1.33GHz PowerBook / 15GB 3G iPod /
4GB iPod Mini / 1GB iPod Shuffle
chameloncholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a question, how good is it running through a TV. I plan on buying one and running it through a 100HZ 32'' Widescreen. Is it any good as a DVD player or would that be a total waste of time clarity wise?
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having not tested this myself I would think picture quality from a high end DVD player will provide a better picture. Although a 32" TV depending on where you are sitting will still have a great picture. I have a 36" Sony Wega which has a better picture than the 40" LCD TV I have in the bedroom.

The 40" LCD has a VGA input so I am tempted to try it when I finally get around to ordering my Mini.
12" 1.33GHz PowerBook / 15GB 3G iPod /
4GB iPod Mini / 1GB iPod Shuffle
chameloncholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing the results, its not a big deal but my mid range panasonic DVD just packed up on me and I was wondering if I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

You dont fancy picking up an S Video adapter and having a play with the Wega by any chance Razz no? Okay then....
amightywind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livemusicfan wrote:
Personally I think it comes down to the display as well. I had a 17" widescreen ViewSonic DVI connected LCD with my G4 PowerMac and although the display was nice the display I purchased from Apple is probably one of the best I have ever seen. I have been told that Samsung makes some excellent LCD displays with clarity very close to the Apple displays, might be worth a look.

Bottom line, if you are happy with the current display and it suits your needs I would not run out and buy a new display to go with your new Mini unless you want to go up in size. Jumping into the current line of Apple displays starts at $999 so its a pricey decision.

Come on man I wanted to give my wife a reason to go a new display! JK My current display is not that hot and plus I wanted to jump up in size. To be honest I've never had the chance to look at a good display hooked up with DVI. The mini is my first computer with DVI output. God I need to get to an Apple store to see one in person.
miniuk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go with the Dvi. To my eyes the picture with Dvi looks crisper than with VGA. On some monitors you loose control of contrast. The Apple Cinema displays have a great picture but are a bit pricey. Look at Samsung before you buy another brand. I have the 191t and love it.
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniuk wrote:
I say go with the Dvi. To my eyes the picture with Dvi looks crisper than with VGA. On some monitors you loose control of contrast. The Apple Cinema displays have a great picture but are a bit pricey. Look at Samsung before you buy another brand. I have the 191t and love it.

Indeed, some other monitorowners regret they don't have a DVI monitor.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@624.qsuNaXwKRmU.0@.68a64fff Confused
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
Hoffer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 Dell LCDs, one of hooked up by VGA. I notice no difference between the two. Personally, I don't think upgrading an LCD just for DVI would be worth the money.
1GB iPod shuffle
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffer wrote:
I've got 2 Dell LCDs, one of hooked up by VGA. I notice no difference between the two. Personally, I don't think upgrading an LCD just for DVI would be worth the money.

Have you read the link?
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
nalenb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a ViewSonic 19" and it was really nice. I returned it thinking the green dot problem was the monitor. I bought it locally at Best Buy for about $525 (with cable). After returning it I ordered a Samsung at newegg for about $100 less and I think the Samsung will be a better monitor.

I did notice a difference in VGA vs. DVI, the DVI was a little crisper. Also the biggest difference was going 17" -> 19" and 1024 -> 1280, huge difference.
Hoffer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James T. Kirkę wrote:
Hoffer wrote:

Have you read the link?

Nope. I was answering the original posters question.
1GB iPod shuffle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: