123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtual CD functionality...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Virtual CD functionality... Reply with quote

This is CRITICAL for the successful use of the Mac Mini by my children.

They own several games that require the CD to be in to play. This is obviously NOT acceptable for 5 and 3 year old kids as they will (and HAVE!) ruin the CD's if they are required to load and unload them on a regular basis.

I want to install they games, educational software, etc and put the media away for safe-keeping. In the windows world, I used to use a program called "VirtualCD" which helped me accomplish this without issue. I'd simply make a virtual CD of the CD, install from the virtual CD, and was good to go. When the program was launched, it would see the virtual CD (and access it, if necessary) and be on its merry way.

My question is, how do I accomplish this in the OS X realm?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=7311
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=7311

Excellent! Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure something like this was possible, but getting a tutorial on how to do it is great. This will allow me to install the games on my kids' Mac Minis without worry.

Now if I can just figure out the best place to buy 1GB of RAM for MY Mac Mini. (still haven't made a final decision as I'm waiting for more people to report back successful compatibility so that I can make sure and save as much money as possible) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
idave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here is the kicker. How can I set the system up so that the CD images are automagically mounted when they log in?
aplowe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add anything, including CD images, to the Startup Items for each user in System Preference (Accounts panel). Just hit the + and tell it where the image is.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ended up creating a AppleScript to mount the image and launch the game (even closing the Finder window (if it exists) when the volume is mounted)...works pretty slick.

Here is an example:

Code:

tell application "Finder"
       activate
       open file "Incredibles.cdr" of folder "DiskImages" of folder "amanda" of folder "Users" of startup disk
       delay 5
       if exists Finder window "Incredibles" then
              close Finder window "Incredibles"
              open file "Incredibles" of folder "The Incredibles" of folder "THQ" of folder "Applications" of startup disk
       else
              open file "Incredibles" of folder "The Incredibles" of folder "THQ" of folder "Applications" of startup disk
       end if
end tell

packerfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I just ended up creating a AppleScript to mount the image and launch the game (even closing the Finder window (if it exists) when the volume is mounted)...works pretty slick.

Here is an example:

Code:

tell application "Finder"
       activate
       open file "Incredibles.cdr" of folder "DiskImages" of folder "amanda" of folder "Users" of startup disk
       delay 5
       if exists Finder window "Incredibles" then
              close Finder window "Incredibles"
       else
       end if
end tell

I'll have to try it! Very Happy
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. And this way the image does not have to be mounted unless they want to play the game...

BTW, my package made some SIGNIFICANT progress last night. I hope the delay doesn't keep me from having it by the weekend...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: