123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How should I connect it all together?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: How should I connect it all together? Reply with quote

main kit
    intel iMac
    iBook G3 with Airport
    Shuttle PC x2 (1 XP Pro, 1 XP Home; wireless .11b cards available but not yet fitted)
    Viewsonic 17" LCD (VGA only though it looks like it's got x2 ?)
    Logitech MX700 combo

Linksys wireless-G router (currently has 1 Shuttle and the iMac connected by ethernet)
    4Mb DSL connection

Brother MFC 9070 multi function mono laser
    Brother QL550 label printer
    Canon Lide 20(?)
    Samsung external DVD writer (firewire & USB)
    External USB HDD (will be x2 eventually) - noisy!
    Belkin 4 port firewire powered hub
    3x 4 port USB powered hubs
    too many occasionally used USB items (eg. Sony CliƩ, IR adapter, MP3 etc) to list

Belkin 500VA UPS

additional kit not yet used
    Belkin Bluetooth Access point with USB Print Server
    Linksys wireless media adaptor

Listing all this makes me sure I have too much gear... Networked it must be!

OK I intend making the iMac the centre of my digital life (oooh I sound like Steve Jobs) so I guess I'll have to attach both monitors to it to extend my desktop, but the Viewsonic is not new so it will have to be via VGA.

I'd like to keep my Logitech MX combo because its a brand new replacement for the last MX combo and I really don't like the Mighty Mouse (the Apple keyboard is OK but why use wired when you have wireless?).

Only one Shuttle is in use at the moment and as I haven't really embarked on much of a transition yet it's still doing everything. When I'm Mac-centred I think it'll make sense to leave the Shuttle to handle stuff like Bittorrent and the Newsgroups and apps like voice processing. So I guess I'll need to add a VGA KVM to the above? Any suggestions?

Cabling is the bane of my life so I thought I'd relocate the printers and use the BT AP. Could I use the iMac as the BT conduit for the rest of the networked computers?

Here's an odd one: the Shuttles have multi card readers and I wonder if it would be possible to use them as drives for SD/MS cards for iPhoto imports?

The biggest stumbling block is I am a complete networking newbie so all constructive help appreciated! Sorry for the long post.

& a PPC Mini bought for my Mother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: