123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini SMC Firmware Update 1.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it's anything like my notebook, when it's hot enough to get the fan that high, the processor will have scaled itself back to a much lower speed.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update seems to have my hard drive running about 10-15 degrees cooler. Better yet, I now see the cpu temperature as an option in the temperature widget. Also running Core Duo Temp since this morning and it agrees. I still can't hear the fan.

OTOH, it helped only minimally with the sleep problems. Even with a format from scratch reinstallation and no 10.4.6 update, periodic daily didn't run this morning, even though the Mini woke at 3AM (and went back to sleep some time after that).

[edit: Update 5/19/2006] This is the second morning the Mini woke up at 0300 but periodic daily didn't run. I'm wondering if it's either 1) it's going back to sleep before 0315, or 2) it's having problems rediscovering the wireless kb & mouse (I'm leaving them on overnight for now). It stays awake for an hour (my Energy Saving setting IIRC) when I WOL and ssh in. Will keep this updated.

[edit: Update 5/21/2006] Same thing the last two mornings. Woke at 0300 but didn't run periodic daily. Periodic weekly didn't run on Saturday morning. I've pmset sleep to 0 and will see what happens tomorrow morning.

[edit: Update 5/22/2006] Periodic daily ran just fine this morning. Will set sleep back to 60 minutes and wake up time to 0310, and see what happens

[edit: Update 5/23/2006] I did some time-out testing yesterday. When woke from sleep while logged in, the Mini waits 60 seconds for the wake/screensaver password, then goes back to sleep. When woke from sleep logged out, it waits exactly 15 minutes before going back to sleep. That's why periodic wasn't running with wake at 0300. Not having a password on wake from sleep/screensaver is not an option for me from a security standpoint. I scheduled wake-up at 0313 and periodic daily DID run last night. However, daily.out was not updated, and I think I cut it too close. Will try 0310 tonight.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB

Last edited by MiniMoe on Tue May 23, 2006 7:52 am; edited 7 times in total
minimonster

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this update last night and now find my Core Duo Mini doesn't go to sleep anymore. I also installed the Missing Sync last night beforehand, perhaps this is keeping it up?

Before this my Mini would sleep as specified in the control panel. Anyone else had this happen?
dahl

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.

perhaps this is a stupid question.
i run my two macmini only with windows.
(im a pc person but with a adict for apple design sorry)

If i flash the new firmware will i run in to any problem with windows?
i still have the OSx partition.

Best Regards
120gb Disc
WINDOWS XP! Smile
minimonster

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed this, I unticked Always listen for devices in preferences of Missing Sync.

minimonster wrote:
I did this update last night and now find my Core Duo Mini doesn't go to sleep anymore. I also installed the Missing Sync last night beforehand, perhaps this is keeping it up?

Before this my Mini would sleep as specified in the control panel. Anyone else had this happen?
MacScout67

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahl wrote:
hi.

perhaps this is a stupid question.
i run my two macmini only with windows.
(im a pc person but with a adict for apple design sorry)

If i flash the new firmware will i run in to any problem with windows?
i still have the OSx partition.

Best Regards

The update won't hurt your Windows partition.
dahl

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks!
120gb Disc
WINDOWS XP! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: