123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils MacBook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:

Personally, I didn't like the matte-black, I think a glossy black would have looked better. Ironically, a matte screen rather than a glossy screen would also be better. Very Happy

I ordered the 2GHz MacBook in white. I think you're right about the black model looking better with a glossy finish. The matte black finish looks a little Dellish in the pictures.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
castaway

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:

It's not flimsy, it's firm when you first start pressing, but seems to press really well. There isn't a lot of travel, but it's nothing like pressing the click wheel on a iPod. It was a little hard to type at first, but that had to do with the angle I was at (tall person standing on top of it). When I started messing with a MacBook on a more equal level it was much easier to type. The keys are real responsive but do seem a little close at first. It does seem like you are reaching just a little for them, since they are at equal level of the body and not sticking out a little.

Thanks for the report. I am still apprehensive about the gaps between the keys, but the rest sounds * no pun intended* solid. Wink
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initial report here

Discussion here

Other threads, including one about heat
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
diulei

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think its strange that they went with a matte black - I thought they would have kept it uniform with the iPod-ish colors, all glossy.

Then again, fingerprints tend to show up a lot more on black then white.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
I still think its strange that they went with a matte black - I thought they would have kept it uniform with the iPod-ish colors, all glossy.

Then again, fingerprints tend to show up a lot more on black then white.

Maybe the next iPods that come out will have a matte-black finish. Razz

It would have been nice if they matched better, but I think you are right. A glossy black MacBook would have been an absolute fingerprint magnet.
queens_nyc

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils MacBook Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Apple Unveils MacBook
Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Apple today unveiled the newly designed MacBook, its new consumer notebook featuring the Intel Core Duo processor and 13-inch glossy widescreen display, all in a sleek design that is up to five times faster than the iBook and up to four times faster than the 12-inch PowerBook. Together with the 15-and 17-inch MacBook Pros, the new MacBook completes Apple's Intel-based portables lineup and replaces both the iBook and the 12-inch PowerBook. Apple's entire portables lineup now offers Intel Core Duo processors; a built-in iSight video camera for video conferencing on-the-go; breakthrough Front Row media experience with Apple Remote; and several advanced features including DVI with dual display support, optical digital audio input and output, Gigabit Ethernet, Sudden Motion Sensor, Scrolling TrackPad and MagSafe Power Adapter.

It figures these came out, as I just got a Core Duo Mini two months ago. I'll have to resist the temptation to buy a MacBook!

MACBOOK PRO
15.4"::2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::2 GB RAM::120 GB HD

AIRPORT
Extreme Base Station w/ Gigabit

iPOD
20 GB::White
80 GB::Silver
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a press release today from iFixit that some of you new MacBook owners may find of interest.

"ATASCADERO, California-- May 22, 2006.

iFixit, publisher of the do-it-yourself Fixit Guide series, has released free MacBook disassembly instructions and photos. The MacBook disassembly is available immediately, online at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/86.1.0.html

The MacBook disassembly guide contains hi-res photos of the MacBook's internals, including the Intel Core Duo processor. "I'm really excited about this new guide. The release of the MacBook Fixit Guide just days after Apple's MacBook release signals our continued commitment to aking Mac repair accessible to everyone. With our simple, step-by-step online instructions, tools, and parts, we're bringing Mac repair to the masses," said Kyle Wiens, iFixit's CEO."
lojo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Apple Unveils MacBook Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. I visited the Apple Store at Florida Mall in Orlando on Sunday. There was quite a bit of activity going on, mainly centered around the new MacBook. I had no problem getting my hands on a black or white MacBook. Awesome looking machines. I just had to put my hands on one of them for now. First impressions overall were good, however, the keyboard did feel a little flimsy. I use an Apple wireless keyboard and mouse so that would not deter me from a purchase. The black is a handsome machine-reminded me of my first PC which was a Dell Inspiron laptop-sorry-it was builit like a fortress. I suspect by December I will have enough funds for one of these babies. I love that built in camera. Brings out the big kid in me. Hats off to all of you that already have one of these beautiful machines. In the meantime, I am loving my Mac Mini and the world of OS X.
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Sony 32" LCD HDTV Monitor-Bravia
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB

Last edited by lojo on Tue May 23, 2006 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Unveils MacBook Reply with quote

lojo wrote:
the keyboard did feel a little flimsey

It's all subjective, of course, but using a MacBook today in an Apple Store I was quite surprised at how much I liked the keyboard. I didn't expect to like it at all, but I thought it had a really nice tactile response. The look and feel is unusual though--I can see why you'd say it was flimsy, though I don't agree that there's an actual workmanship issue. I think it may be more perception and expectation than anything.

And the glossy screen didn't bother me at all, although I'm sure the Apple Stores have optimized lighting.

Smile

Jamie
Hoffer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 2.0 GHz white system. It replaced a 867 MHz 12" PowerBook. It is so much nicer. The glossy screen is a non-issue for me. When the screen is on, I don't see any reflections. When it's off, it's like a mirror. The keyboard is also fine. I noticed it at first, just because people made a stink about it. 10 minutes after using it, I didn't even think of it. It works fine.

For what I use a portable Mac for, this thing is perfect.
1GB iPod shuffle
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, love it! Very Happy
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
diulei

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffer wrote:
I got the 2.0 GHz white system. It replaced a 867 MHz 12" PowerBook. It is so much nicer.

Exactly what I plan on replacing. Hopefully I can get a couple hundred bucks from it to put towards the MacBook.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoffer wrote:
It replaced a 867 MHz 12" PowerBook.

How long did you have your PB?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ddcmvt710

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly hate the keyboard and the interior of this laptop. It feels so cheap. I preferred the old "snow-white interior" with its original keyboard with backlit of course.
Hoffer

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
Hoffer wrote:
It replaced a 867 MHz 12" PowerBook.

How long did you have your PB?

About 3 1/2 years. The 12" PowerBook was announced at MacWorld in 2003. I ordered one within the week and got it in early February.
1GB iPod shuffle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: