123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils MacBook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbstingray wrote:
They might be special because of the SMS (sudden motion sensor) and they need to have a special mechanism, I don't know

I could be wrong, but I don't think the sudden motion sensor has anything to do with the hard drive itself. I'm pretty sure they are just plain old 2.5" SATA drives from Hitachi, Toshiba, or Fujitsu. I think the sudden motion sensor is an actual sensor on the motherboard that tells the hard drive to disengage its heads when it detects vibrations or sudden changes in position.

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
And that whole thing about the keys being built into the casing, I wonder what they feel like and any future issues about them.

The keys sure look flat. It almost looks like a spill proof keyboard.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
diulei

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple gets to charge ridiculous amounts because there will always be fanboys as well as people who just don't want to take the time to install things themselves that purchase BTO options.

However, if the RAM is as easy to install as it always has been (such as on my G4 Pbook), then it's a 1 minute process...

EDIT: Just took a look at some iBook RAM removing instructions. Apparently it's way more difficult on an iBook than a PBook. Interesting.

EDIT #2: Just took a look at the MacWorld article. The RAM looks just as easy to install, pop off the battery, change the RAM. In which case, people would have to be out of their mind to pay Apple for the RAM. Unless your time is worth just THAT much money.

Last edited by diulei on Wed May 17, 2006 12:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think they would be seperate, that's what I thought, but it is a possibility. It could be that it is harder to change the drives and that it needs to be done in China or something rather than ones that are on American soil, shipping, labor costs, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diulei wrote:
However, if the RAM is as easy to install as it always has been (such as on my G4 Pbook), then it's a 1 minute process...

It looks really easy. Check out the "Beneath the battery" part of this article.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks/macbookfirst/index.php

The keyboard is my biggest concern. If you can't type well on it, what's the use? I'm just not sure about the shape, layout, and size of the keys. I'm going to the Apple Store this weekend and look over in person. I might buy the 1.83GHz model if the keyboard is workable. As far as the color, I think the MacBook looks better in white. The black model doesn't do much for me.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
As far as the color, I think the MacBook looks better in white. The black model doesn't do much for me.

It still is nice for them to at least give the option.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
Whats with Apple and their ram pricing? Are these sticks any different then the iMM's, that they're charging $500 xtra for 2x1gb?(different pinning?). Even the 1.83MBP 1x1gb=$200, but 2x1gb=$500, I don't get the math? Charging $100 xtra for the 2nd stick.

Serpent

Indeed. But it's ridiculously easy to install RAM (and for that matter, change the hard drive) in these new models. Here's a link to "MacBook dissection" pictures:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9585/

No reason at all to pay Apple for RAM.

Smile

Jamie
subaruwrx

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Glossy Screen Blows... Reply with quote

Glossy Screens Blow! They really should offer a matte finish for those of us that might use this thing in any place with lights.

Glossy screens are really a crazy trend. They leave off the last step in the LCD process so they can charge more for a screen that is more susceptible to be damage by cleaning or scraps.

Nuts to that!
splen

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first saw them, I thought the black one looked great, Then I noticed big black bezel and the similarities with the keyboards on old 80s computers and kinda went off them a little bit. Now I'm thinking that when my self restraint finally gives out and I buy one it will probably be the black one. But thats just the first 24 hours!

Still undecided about the glossy screen though, I'll reserve my judgement till I see one.
houttbe

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Pricing Reply with quote

I wonder whether the Macbooks make the minis look expensive. For $ 550 extra you get a faster processor (2.0 GHz vs. 1.66 GHz), a 13" screen, keyboard & mouse, a battery and dual video out. Otherwise these are both capable transportable and quiet machines. The dual video out makes the Macbook in my view a better basis for a home theater.
resuna

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Intel graphics - ewwww... Reply with quote

The old G4 mini almost caught up with the core duo for things like T&L ... thanks to the Intel GPU making the CPU spend half its time doing software OpenGL ... and the G4 mini's got the below-bottom-of-the-line Radeon 9200 (stripped down Radeon 8500).

This was excused by Mac fans because they said the Mac mini was targeted for home entertainment centers, so all that mattered was its ability to do 2d fast enough for video.

What's the excuse now?
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pricing Reply with quote

houttbe wrote:
The dual video out makes the Macbook in my view a better basis for a home theater.

Here's a piece about just that topic:

http://www.the-hdtv-tuner.com/mobile-hdtv-media-center.html

Smile

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Glossy Screen Blows... Reply with quote

subaruwrx wrote:
Glossy Screens Blow! They really should offer a matte finish for those of us that might use this thing in any place with lights.

Glossy screens are really a crazy trend. They leave off the last step in the LCD process so they can charge more for a screen that is more susceptible to be damage by cleaning or scraps.

Nuts to that!

Apple should have given their customers the choice of a glossy or matte finish display. HP, Dell, and Sony do. I hate this current trend of glossy displays in the laptop market. They are very distracting and reflect way too much light.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Glossy Screen Blows... Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Apple should have given their customers the choice of a glossy or matte finish display. HP, Dell, and Sony do.

I agree 100%. The glossy screens look great on the store shelves to the uninitiated--I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

Confused

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Glossy Screen Blows... Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
devo wrote:
Apple should have given their customers the choice of a glossy or matte finish display. HP, Dell, and Sony do.

I agree 100%. The glossy screens look great on the store shelves to the uninitiated--I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

Confused

Jamie

The funny thing is, those companies usually charge a premium for their BrightView or XBRITE displays. I bet there are people out there right now that would be willing to go the other way around and pay extra for a matte display on the MacBook. Laughing
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that watching DVDs or movie trailers on the glossy screen looks crazy. It looks so sharp and crystal clear. At first I didn't know what to think about the screen and the keyboard. After playing with it for a while I actually like them. The nice thing is that the screen isn't as dim as a matte screen would be. But it would suck to use it to watch movies on an airplane, especially with all the lights involved in the cabin.
But I do like the keyboard. It took a little adjustment, but I got around to it.

My girlfriend is thinking we should get one. So I might get one soon, since I'm actually more of a notebook person than she is. She would probably use it as an excuse to take control of my Mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: