123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FastMac Unveils Painted Cases for Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: FastMac Unveils Painted Cases for Mac mini Reply with quote

FastMac Unveils Painted Cases for Mac mini
Friday, May 12, 2006

FastMac has unveiled a line of custom-painted cases for the Mac mini. According to the company, "We have come up with a uniquely FastMac solution. That's, well, fast. Instead of you sending in your mini to get painted and going without it for 10-15 days, we'll send you a brand new, high-quality, pre-painted Mac mini case first, then you send us your old one back." The cases are finished with four coats of "aircraft-quality" paint and offered in Chili (red), Onyx (black), Midnight (dark blue), Bubblegum (pink), Wasabi (lime), Tangerine (orange), or Retro (beige with an original multi-colored Apple logo).

The kit also comes with an instructional video, PDF instructions, and modified putty knife for removing your original case. The cases are priced at $69.95 and will begin shipping in two to three weeks.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/475.html

Last edited by admin on Fri May 12, 2006 6:44 pm; edited 8 times in total
droopy1592

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's clearly more economical and efficient than Colorware. They want you to wait forever to receive a mini (if you order it from them) or send yours in. I had to beg to get them to just take my case and let me keep the internals/base.

I just hope their process is better than Colorware, as I had issues with them painting the optical drive dust cover. That was a pain in the ass. Every time you put a CD the paint on the dust cover would scratch your CDs.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the retro case but I'm not willing to give up my original.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website may say "fastmac", but the website is anything but fast. Sad
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:

It just can't load fast with a 113KB JPEG and a 98KB Flash.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
bsnoel wrote:

It just can't load fast with a 113KB JPEG and a 98KB Flash.

Their website is under major distress at the moment. I'm seeing mysql errors, etc. I think its more due to the fact that macnn and 123macmini posted their links and they are being unintentionally ddos'ed by all the people trying to browse.

Last edited by bsnoel on Fri May 12, 2006 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texark

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro is super cool! Cool

I wonder if they will put the classic logo on a black case?
Miniskirt

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that load balancing sucks Sad

Couldn't find out much information from their website either so I called in and spoke to someone named Roger. He said that the price is $69 with a VERY reasonable deposit of $19.

Does anyone know if changing out the case will void the warranty?

I am not interested in voiding the warranty by walking into the Apple Store with a different colored case so I am just going to keep mine and forget about the $20 bucks. Still cheaper than Colorware and no downtime.

I am thinking the Retro will look nice next to my Sony KDL-V32XBR1. Would look even cooler if it had a matching black background Cool
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems like a much better deal than Colorware. Retro would look cool with my old ViewSonic CRT. It would be like living in the 80's again. Laughing

Quote:
I just hope their process is better than Colorware, as I had issues with them painting the optical drive dust cover. That was a pain in the ass. Every time you put a CD the paint on the dust cover would scratch your CDs.

I've always wondered what Colorware did with the dust cover. Unless they tape over or remove it, the paint would make it stiff. I would definitely want to ask FastMac about this before ordering one.
iLife's a Bitch!
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsnoel wrote:
Their website is under major distress at the moment. I'm seeing mysql errors, etc. I think its more due to the fact that macnn and 123macmini posted their links and they are being unintentionally ddos'ed by all the people trying to browse.

Where does MacNN gets its news from? Is there only 123Macmini that's aware of the existence of Cinnamon Peripherals? Confused
Texark

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miniskirt wrote:
Does anyone know if changing out the case will void the warranty?

I assume not, but that's a great question. I think your plan about keeping the case is a smart one. Spending that extra 20 dollars may save your ass later. I'm not really worried about mine because it's out of warranty.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
bsnoel wrote:

Where does MacNN gets its news from? Is there only 123Macmini that's aware of the existence of Cinnamon Peripherals? Confused

I suspect that they both get news of this nature from press releases submitted by the vendors.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
Retro is super cool! Cool

I wonder if they will put the classic logo on a black case?

Yes, they state that you can e-mail them with custom requests.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind having the top of mine painted black. I really like the mini's silver body. But a silver body with black top would look pretty Cool with my 24" Dell display.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the scope of things, this seems like a pretty good deal. Even those vinyl skins for the Mac mini are going to set you back around 20 bucks. I might look into this some more after people start reporting back on the quality of their new cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: