123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wired USB Keyboard Disconnects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreene4001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Wired USB Keyboard Disconnects Reply with quote

I've got an Intel Mac Mini Solo with Boot Camp installed. I'm very pleased... it runs XP extremely well, in my opinion.

Anyway, the most annoying issue I've had to date is the fact that my wired Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse (plugged into the keyboard USB hub) periodically disconnect and reconnect from the Mini's USB port (in Windows only). When this happens, the keyboard stops functioning but the mouse will continue to function once XP re-detects it. The only way to get the keyboard to respond again is to physically unplug it from the USB connection on the back of the Mini and to plug it back in.

Is this just a Boot Camp bug? I assume that there may be some USB issues related to this keyboard. Haven't tried a PC USB keyboard but would rather not.

Thanks in advance!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried plugging them separately into the Mac mini instead of using the keyboard's port for the Mighty Mouse?
dgreene4001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that. Right now I don't have enough free USB ports (but I could make them free if I really tried). Instead, I plugged both the keyboard and mouse in separately into a USB 2.0 hub. I did not have a disconnect for the 2-3 hours that I ran this way this afternoon.

Perhaps keyboard+mouse is too much draw off a single USB port (in XP)???

Does this make sense?
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Boot Camp (or an Intel Mac for that matter) so this might be a shot in the dark. Why don't you try going into the Window's Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Go to one of the USB Root Hubs > Power Management > Make sure that the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked. I had some issues like this before with an Apple keyboard in Windows.

Edit: You might have to uncheck that in all of the USB Root Hubs.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Ed

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM... Reply with quote

iMac Intel / Boot Camp / Keyboard freezes sometimes only in Windows / Mouse turns on again but keyboard don't, unless unplug-plug USB... / And the Caps Lock LED lights on...

Gonna try OGN solution now. It makes perfect sense...
dgreene4001

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for sure if OGN's solution worked (I did make the changes) but I did plug the keyboard and mouse into an external USB hub and haven't had a problem since.
Yeff

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 1.67ghz dual mini. Whenever I would connect into XP via remote desktop it would drop the USB mouse/keyboard and I could not wake the machine back up until I unplugged all the USB connections and plugged them back in. Once I bought a cheap USB 2.0 hub and plugged them into that instead the problem went away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: