123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OH.......Just a bit of a Rant!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: OH.......Just a bit of a Rant! Reply with quote

A good friend of mine just purchased an HP 2.16ghz 17" laptop and had a few problems both with software and hardware. The first machine he bought had to be returnded after a reformat and re-install of XP destroyed HP's recovery partition(22gb) on one HDD. 2nd machine went back to them yesterday after doing a restore using there recovery console and XP's constant crashing after it's re-install. It's a 3000$ machine so off it went back to HP.
OK so on with my ranting!
I told him since he had time today and Apple's release of the 17" MBP that he should pay a visit to the local Apple Store to check out a 15" MBP(store won't have 17" for another week or so). Well to make a long story short, he fell in love with the looks of the 17" G4, and the 15" MBP offered him more than the HP did(except dual 100gb 7200's) and lets him boot into windows if need be.
But.......The damn thing heats up to OVEN temperatures! How can you call it a "Laptop" if you can't even put it in your Lap! Would it have been so hard for Apple to have just added a second layer of aluminum with about a 1/8" air gap between them to insulate the excessive heat? Why not just build it like a double wall cookie sheet or double wall chimney pipe.........
Come on Apple use your brains.

Serpent
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug. It's a feature.

Razz

Jamie
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: OH.......Just a bit of a Rant! Reply with quote

serpent wrote:
How can you call it a "Laptop" if you can't even put it in your Lap! Come on Apple use your brains.

Apple calls it a "Notebook". Using a $2000+ piece of hardware on something as unstable as your lap may burn you in more than one way. You may want to consider, wearing jeans or carrying a cookie sheet.

I'm just playing the devil's advocate. Yes it would be nice to have computers that don't produce heat and noise. The designers should try to minimize both. However, more people are concerned with size, weight etc. when it comes to portable devices and most people use them on a desk.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: this is why... Reply with quote

This is why I hate Intel CPUs since they get really hot, granted my AMD HP laptop isn't too cool it takes a while and it is normally the CPU that heats up worst then the HDD, but that is because the two are so clos and it is a plastic case which absorbs dome of the heat. I want an iBook G4 12" since I want a nice reliable and afordable portable Mac.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post on this subject linked below. Apparently, Apple doesn't always properly apply the thermal grease:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1864582

Proper reapplication of a superior product lowered the temperature considerably for this guy. And also probably voided his warranty.

Smile

Jamie
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my biggest problem with Apple portables (INCLUDING the new MBP's) is their lack of high density displays. My last Dell Inspiron was a wide-screen with a native resolution of 1920x1200! Why can't Apple offer
WUXGA displays?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: not too uncommon Reply with quote

I've seen this in laptops before and on desktops a lot more, but it's an easy fix if you have a working brain and can read if not how can you complain to this message?

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more turned off I am by the upcoming MacBook (at least based on the rumored specs). The 13.3" widescreen will reported have a native resolution of 1280x720. That is just plain RIDICULOUS! I was really hoping that Apple would step it up with some higher-density displays to go along with the move to the Intel platform.

I have a current 12" iBook and feel very cramped by the 1024x768 native resolution. More than anything, it is the VERTICAL real estate that is the most limiting. Going from 1024x768 to 1280x720 would simply be PAINFUL.

Heck, even the 15" MBP's only have a resolution of 1440x900. That is simply disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
splen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I agree about the res issue, I like what I'm hearing about the new slim design and so-forth but I find it slightly galling that if I was in the market for an ultra-portable windows PC I could pretty much choose my resolution! High resolutions are even more important with small screens to make them useable. IMHO If apple arent carefull they are going to get left (further) behind in this area. Sad
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple's flat panels and notebooks all have a 16:10 display with a resolution that works out to about 110 dpi. This is about as high as the average person can use comfortably.

This is from someone who has one of those high-resolution PCs, a 1920 x 1200 15.4" notebook, near 150 dpi. There are workarounds, like setting advanced video to 120 dpi instead of 96 dpi, but they screw up more than they fix. Dell had these preconfigured and many web pages looked like crap. I wound up setting everything to Windows standard, and using Firefox and Thunderbird because they let me easily change text size with the keyboard. Increasing it to much more than the web page designer intended can screw up the page display though.

If Apple continues their 16:10 format, the new 13.3" iBook/MacBook should be 1280 x 800. If they adopt the 15:9 format commonly used on PCs, it will be 1280 x 768 (and 112 dpi), but I'd be surprised if that happens.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
splen

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

now 1280x800 I could live with. I have a 14inch ibook which is great apart from the display. web surfing and the like are fine but logic express and photoshop particularly seem to be designed for a higher resolution
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the rumor sites say 13.3" with a native res of 1280x720.

I used to have an Inspiron 8600 with 1920x1200 resolution and abolutely LOVED IT (15.4", mind you). For a Dell, it was pretty decent. Even the new 17" MBP's don't come close. By far my biggest disappointment. I thought for SURE that Apple would take this opportunity to offer higher density displays on their portables. There is simply no way I can go less than 768 vertically...If the new MacBooks are truly 1280x720, I will get as much life out of my 12" iBook as I can and then go back to my old standard for portables (cheap Dell + Gentoo).

Fortunately, the ability to span displays allows me PLENTY of desktop real estate on my 20" iMac. Smile
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same notebook and love it for watching HDTV and viewing my photos at 1600 x 1200, but that's about it. I think Apple's choice of a 23" display for 1920 x 1200 is about right for me.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniMoe wrote:
I have the same notebook and love it for watching HDTV and viewing my photos at 1600 x 1200, but that's about it. I think Apple's choice of a 23" display for 1920 x 1200 is about right for me.

I loved it simply for the desktop real estate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: