123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splen

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: The Office Reply with quote

I caught a couple of episodes of the U.S. version of The Office the other day, I am a big fan of the original series but found the american one a bit disapointing. Just wondered how it went over in the states? anyone shed any light?
TIGERW

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan! Love the American version. I have seen the euro version, but I think ours is great! This is appointment TV for me!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: both are great actually Reply with quote

I like both, but I prefer the American version because the jokes are more oriented for over here, while the English version is for English society. Also, the American version uses easily recognizable actors (I'm not sure about the English version) and has a huge budget.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
warlock

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like the American version at first, it's just a verbatim version of the UK one. Then however I watched Anchor Man. The guy who plays 'David Brent' in the US version is in it..and he's hysterical! I gave it another look and I enjoyed it.

I love lamp!

LOUD NOISES!!
threeshardvisage

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Office Reply with quote

its funny that you bring that up... i totally hated it before i even saw it... but the executive producers are ricky gervais and steve merchant, plus i like corell in 40 year old virgin, so i decided to give it a shot... i think the american show is amusing, but in the first episode, the jokes were extremely similar, minus the subtlety of the british version... i think the best thing about the BBC show is the fact that you have to use your imagination as to whats going on, and thats part of why its so funny...

i think that the US version could not possibly be as good, because they cant make a lot of the jokes in the BBC version on american television, and to a certian extent, they dumb it down so its "suitable" for the audience...

nobody can be david brent the way gervais is... but i think that for american tv, the US office is pretty damn good... plus the more the series goes on, the more they take it in its own direction, with its own style of jokes and such...

oh and the dvds of the US show have about 30 minutes of deleted scenes per disc, and seriously, the deleted scenes are somehow funnier than the show itself...

i think its more fair to compare the US office to american tv, than it is to compare it to the BBC show, in which case the show is far ahead of the game (which is why it has been so successful)...
-miles
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: dumb American FCC and moral standards Reply with quote

This is one reason I love Europe they are more open and don't twist and pervert words so much (Pac-Man really translated to Puc-Man, but I think you get it and there is a word for it too) in Iceland they consider it odd to be 15+ and still a virgin and then also the U.S. has the FCC who is trying to monitor satellite radio now and tried to do so with paid for TV services (failed since you pay to get it without resrictions) and I like how they are about alchohol where I believe the required blood alchohol level for being drunk in the UK is 10x the US limit and that is why Germany has the lowest alchoholic rate in the world I believe and US first then China second so I love Europe and dislike U.S.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: