123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mac Mini Duo and Direct TV HD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVanMan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: New Mac Mini Duo and Direct TV HD Reply with quote

Hey all,

First of all I am new to the site and new to the world of mac. I am happy with the new mac Mini Core Duo 1.66mHz so far. I am so glad I came across this sight, I know I will be spending a lot of time on here learning about the new world of the mac mini. As I am also a photographer on the side and I am looking into getting mac's Aperture software possibly in the near future. Is anyone using this software (Aperture or Final Cut Pro) on a mini yet? I have just ordered 2Gb of new memory from Newegg and I am looking into setting up the mini as an HD Media Center. Does anyone have this setup with EyeTV and Direct TV's HD service? I have been using the Direct TV's HD service for about a year now and I love it on my 57" Hitachi Widescreen TV. Can anyone post links on setting up the EyeTV with the Direct TV service?
2.0 Gb RAM, IOGear KVM Switch
320Gb NewerTech MiniStack HD
Canon EOS 20D SLR Camera
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently use a USB HDTV ATSC tuner with my Windows laptop for over-the-air reception and am interested in the EyeTV 500 for doing so on the Mini. When it comes to satellite, here's what ElGato's EyeTV 500 FAQ says:

Can I use HDTV over cable or satellite with EyeTV 500?

You can receive unencrypted HDTV programs over antenna or cable with EyeTV 500, but not satellite TV. You cannot use a cable box.

and

Can EyeTV 500 work with a cable box or satellite receiver?

No. EyeTV 500 cannot work with any cable box, satellite receiver, or other external box. It cannot work with any analog (NTSC) input.

Some of the older standard definition EyeTV boxes seem to work with satellite, but I wouldn't think those would work with your HD channels.

The only way I'm aware of to use satellite HD with the Mini is to have firewire on the satellite receiver box and capture it with the sample D-VHS in the Firewire SDK. Am I missing something?

Frankly, the bandwidth from satellite is so narrow, and the HD signals so heavily compressed, that if I were going to something besides OTA ATSC, it would be digital cable. You also have the issue of how the Mini would "tune" the satellite receiver to a particular channel to record when you weren't there.
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
TheVanMan

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Know of any addon DVR's that work with Direct TV HD Reply with quote

Well if I can't use EyeTV for recording HD through the Direct TV service. Does anyone know of a way that you can record from satillite to the mini? Any links of info would be usefull.
2.0 Gb RAM, IOGear KVM Switch
320Gb NewerTech MiniStack HD
Canon EOS 20D SLR Camera
MiniMoe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your satellite receiver has a Firewire output, you could try the D-VHS sample program in Apple's Firewire Software Development Kit (SDK).
Apple USB Modem (for faxing), Bose Companion 2 Speakers
2.0GHz white MacBook 1GB/80GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: