123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini Core Duo SATA Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Core Duo SATA Mod Reply with quote

Mac Mini Core Duo SATA Mod
Tuesday April 25, 2006

Henner Malchert has posted some information about his Mac Mini Core Duo SATA mod. Using a cable from an external SATA PCI bracket, Henner was able to connect a 3.5" 300GB Samsung HD300LJ SATA hard drive to the Mac mini's interconnect board. The cable is weeded through one of the Mac mini's bottom vents and into a modded NewerTech miniStack V2 that houses the larger hard drive. He also posted some Xbench scores of the Mac mini with the 3.5" SATA hard drive in action.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/467.html
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Quote:
The SATA drive is a little bit faster than any hard drive connected to the FireWire 400 port that i was able to test. It also avoid trafik on the FireWire line - e.g. EyeTV 300 has the full bandwidth and doesn't has to share it with an external hard drive.

So, I guess all this trouble only seems to clear up the FireWire bus... Which is a good thing if you need it for something else but otherwise I'd guess an external FW enclosure is good enough for most people.

All this says, anyway, is that FireWire 400 is still fast enough for most uses. Wink
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
All this says, anyway, is that FireWire 400 is still fast enough for most uses. Wink

Indeed, but I think he is too modest when he says that it's a "little bit faster". His XBench speeds look to be quite a bit faster to me.

It's nothing I'd bother with, but several people on this forum are having a lot of success with variations on this approach.

Smile

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it worth it? Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Indeed, but I think he is too modest when he says that it's a "little bit faster". His XBench speeds look to be quite a bit faster to me.

I hear you. Those sequential disk scores pretty much blow my 250GB miniStack V1 via firewire out of the water.

My scores.....
Disk Test 47.63
Sequential 50.54
Uncached Write 46.86 28.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 49.40 27.95 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 41.76 12.22 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 73.48 36.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 45.03
Uncached Write 17.36 1.84 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 87.44 27.99 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 92.86 0.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 110.58 20.52 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Paul Stamatiou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could find a prettier way of doing this as well as more resistant (ie, a tug on the SATA line won't cause mass panic) I will be working with an external 10k rpm raptor later this summer.
SFBags Sleevecase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Stamatiou wrote:
If I could find a prettier way of doing this as well as more resistant (ie, a tug on the SATA line won't cause mass panic) I will be working with an external 10k rpm raptor later this summer.

Yea, I'm not sure a hot glue gun is the best solution. Laughing
Griffsdad

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest is how to add it as a second drive, not replacing the original 2.5" drive. Does anyone know if there's an additional drive controller on this board? I've got the Dual 1.66 w/2GB. I've got a few USB2.0 drives but they seem to be less reliable than I'd like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: