123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NewerTech Unveils miniStack USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: NewerTech Unveils miniStack USB Reply with quote

NewerTech Unveils miniStack USB
Monday, May 1, 2006

NewerTech has unveiled the miniStack USB, a new companion hard drive for the Mac mini. According to the company, "The miniStack USB adds everything you need. More hard drive space, with capacity for one 3.5" drive (up to 500GB!), and 3 more USB 2.0 ports. Yes, that's right - you don't need any extra drive cases or hubs for your accessories anymore!"

Each miniStack USB features a smart power switch so the drive turns on with your mini; a thermal probe that automatically regulates and varies fan speed according to the temperature; Prolific 2507 USB 2.0 chipset; and integrated 3-Port USB 2.0 powered hub. The dimensions of the miniStack USB are 6.5 inches x 6.5 inches x 1.5 inches.

Although designed to maximize the Apple Mac mini, the miniStack USB works with any Apple or PC computer with an available USB port including any iMac, mini PC, desktop PC, or portable MacBook Pro, iBook, or PowerBook. The NewerTech miniStack USB retails for less than $110 for the 80 GB version and is available in capacities up to 500GB. All models are shipping now.

NewerTech also announced that they have added a 750GB model to their miniStack V2 lineup.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/470.html
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What am I missing here? I don't get why you'd want one of these, since booting from USB is slower than booting from FireWire, and there aren't any FireWire ports at all on this new thing.

It's been a long day at work though, so feel free to point me in the direction of the obvious.

Razz

Jamie
sp468732

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper maybe?

I don't see the point in this either.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
What am I missing here? I don't get why you'd want one of these, since booting from USB is slower than booting from FireWire, and there aren't any FireWire ports at all on this new thing.

It's been a long day at work though, so feel free to point me in the direction of the obvious.

Razz

Jamie

I could see if the thing added another 3-4 FireWire ports even if they can be daisy-chained. But more USB? I agree, I don't see the point either.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this product will hurt them in the long run. Unsuspecting victims or uh, I mean customers will buy this thinking all external drives will perform better than the internal. Then when they see other folks XBench scores with much higher scores they'll start to ask questions and realize they should've opted for Firewire. They should at least put a disclaimer on the page that the FW version has better performance. Also most Mac's cannot boot from USB (the Core Duo/Solo's can; not sure what else) so that needs a disclaimer as well.

If they want to milk this MiniStack idea further they should be a bit more diverse:

MaxiStack: FW/USB hub that allows you to mount TWO 3.5" HD's vertically with RAID 0 and RAID 1 support. Also incorporates some AUDIO and VIDEO jacks not available on the mini. Includes a 7 in 1 card reader built in. Same width and depth of the mini, but 4" tall.

That's what Willis was talkin' 'bout . . .
eldentistfuturo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji257 wrote:
I think this product will hurt them in the long run. Unsuspecting victims or uh, I mean customers will buy this thinking all external drives will perform better than the internal. Then when they see other folks XBench scores with much higher scores they'll start to ask questions and realize they should've opted for Firewire. They should at least put a disclaimer on the page that the FW version has better performance. Also most Mac's cannot boot from USB (the Core Duo/Solo's can; not sure what else) so that needs a disclaimer as well.

If they want to milk this MiniStack idea further they should be a bit more diverse:

MaxiStack: FW/USB hub that allows you to mount TWO 3.5" HD's vertically with RAID 0 and RAID 1 support. Also incorporates some AUDIO and VIDEO jacks not available on the mini. Includes a 7 in 1 card reader built in. Same width and depth of the mini, but 4" tall.

That's what Willis was talkin' 'bout . . .

people who dont already know that firewire will run faster, probably won't know what a xbench score is, but I do agree with you on the TWO 3.5 disk stack
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the V2 was a step forward; this is a step back. Not sure who the target market is for this one.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg wrote:
Seems like the V2 was a step forward; this is a step back. Not sure who the target market is for this one.

People without firewire! Laughing

They might be a little more appealing if they didn't cost as much as the V2. Personally, I would rather spend the extra 20-30 buckaroos on the one with firewire.
castaway

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji257 wrote:

Like maybe a new front face with ports. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: