123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini Core Duo audio output to a TV and to AV receiver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eriego

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Mini Core Duo audio output to a TV and to AV receiver Reply with quote

Hello, I'm planning to use a MAC Mini Core Duo as HTPC and I want to connect the audio output to a LCD TV.

Most of the time I'll use the TV speakers, but sometimes I'll want to connect the audio output to an AV receiver to process multichannel digital sound. Is it possible?

Maybe I need to purchase an accesory.

Thanks.
glynjones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly what I want to do but haven't managed to find anything yet.
eriego

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this must be very common.
So, how it's possible that the audio output be digital with a minijack?
malcolm4000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Me too! Reply with quote

This is exactly what I want to do, but I suspect it probably isn't possible, you can probably split the 3.5mm jack to provide two separate stereo feeds, but analogue only, I think. Would love any more help on this...

PS: Am excitable as My Mac Mini Duo is sitting on my desk waiting to be taken home tonight. Alas, the keybord doesn't arrive until tomorrow - Gutted...Looks lovely though...
Din

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output is a stereo mini jack and also a mini toslink, but I do not believe there is any connector which will allow you to use it as either/both, much less split it once you have done so.

If your LCD TV has a toslink digital input, you coud use a toslink splitter to go to both the TV and the A/V receiver.
eriego

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck, the LCD TV only has RCA inputs.
graphics-guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can utilize sound out of TV speakers and audio receiver as follows (assuming audio receiver can perform digital to analog conversion:

1) Connect the Mini's digital mini Toshlink to the Audio Receivers digital input.

2) Connect RCA monitor outputs from Audio Receiver to TV (some receivers have fixed level outputs so receiver's volume control won't matter)

Listen on audio receiver when desired. Assuming the audio receiver is on, you could also listen on the TV speakers using the TV volume.
Hope this helps, but I don't understand why one would want to listen to inferior TV speakers when an audio receiver and good speakers are present (including 5.1 sound).
Mayhem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to do something similar. You can get an analog 3.5mm audio splitter but I have been unable to find a digital (optical) one. The other problem is that if you do manage to split it it is unlikely that the splitter will be able to split into both didgital AND analog.

I am also trying to split the video to both VGA and RCA. Any hints?
rxdawg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Purpose of splitting??? Reply with quote

I have read all the posts and a little confused at to why you want to split the sound. I have my mini running through my A/V receiver. My plasma TV is simply a glorified monitor also hooked up through receiver. All sound goes through receiver whether I am watching TV or playing on the mini. Sounds great all the time and I don't have to hit any switches except for changing the tv from Cable to HDMI.
LG 42" Plasma TV
eriego

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want use the AV receiver to hear low quality sound, I prefer turn on the receiver only when playing multichannel sound.

It's strange that the Mini has two audio ouput but you can use only one.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a optical cable w/ a mini-optical adapter and use it for your surround sound off of your receiver.
To get sound off of your TV, get a Griffin iMic w/ a Y-adapter cable to your TV.
Then to control the two selections without going into System Preferences, download and install SoundSource. It goes on your menu bar and lets you quickly pick your audio out.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eriego wrote:
I don't want use the AV receiver to hear low quality sound, I prefer turn on the receiver only when playing multichannel sound.

It's strange that the Mini has two audio ouput but you can use only one.

One is a output, the other is a input.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: 5.1? Reply with quote

So by using the optical adapters I would able to get 5.1 audio from a dvd that I have ripped? Once I rip a dvd and want to watch it on my tv, do I need to change anything on the mini so that it will know that the movies is going out to a larger monitor? Does anyone know if the Logitech remotes will work with the mini? Laughing
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.1? Reply with quote

dfdtruckie wrote:
So by using the optical adapters I would able to get 5.1 audio from a dvd that I have ripped? Once I rip a dvd and want to watch it on my tv, do I need to change anything on the mini so that it will know that the movies is going out to a larger monitor? Does anyone know if the Logitech remotes will work with the mini? Laughing

It should do 5.1 unless if you compress them without leaving the option of Dolby Digital on. Even so it still might encode it and all you will get is Pro Logic II. But if you do a straight rip and use DVD Player, it will put out 5.1. You have to go into the preferences in DVD Player, it should be under Audio.

For the video, you won't have to worry about doing anything to have it run on a TV. Unless you are changing resolutions or something, which if you are using it already with the TV, then it won't matter.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the suggestion of SOCOMRAIDER (digital output to the AV receiver and the USB iMic to TV) and all works perfectly. Thanks.

But using the digital output:

1. There is no volume control with the optical output
2. All multichannel (Dolby Digital and DTS) from DVDs is converted to DolbyPrologic.

Any idea?
Sony KDL-W40A11E
Dell 2405FPW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: