123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A powermac, a 6800 ultra ddl and a windows "feature&qu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleekj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: A powermac, a 6800 ultra ddl and a windows "feature&qu Reply with quote

I did a format/install of 10.4 on my PowerMac (it shipped with 10.3) this weekend.

I must say I gained 5-10 fps from it.

My PM originally came with a 5200 ultra and of course my frame rate was around 25-30 FPS on average but after installing the 6800 ultra it jumped to about 40-45 and after the reinstall it is now 45-55+ but it is odd that a format/reinstall would gain additional benefit, I thought only Windows suffered from that particular “feature”

Now my dual 1.8 G5 can almost match my P4 3.0/6800 GT however I have noticed that the overall visual quality of WoW is much much better on my PC, I have checked the graphic settings and they are the same…….

Another odd thing is that even though my PC will keep a constant higher frame rate it have never peaked over 62 FPS whilst on my Mac I will peak at 75 FPS every now and again…….
aj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is possibly due to your PC using DirectX to render the game, wheras the Mac is using OpenGL.

DirectX has some very nice looking features which can take advantage of hardware which accelerates these features on modern graphics cards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: