123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Camp on MiniStack?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Boot Camp on MiniStack? Reply with quote

Hey, I'm putting together a 500GB MiniStack external with a MiniStackV1 box and a Maxtor 500GB drive. I'd like to set it up to be the boot drive for both OSX and XP Pro.

What is the correct procedure I should follow? Formatting, etc. I'm a little confused as to the best way to go about this.

Thanks!

Nobbie Cool
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that you can't set up an external drive to boot xp through Boot Camp.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only way you can do this is to remove the HDD from your mini and feed your mini stack from the mni's sata.

Serpent

"sorry as pointed out to me this is not only way"

Last edited by serpent on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
fuji257

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire up BootCamp and go along until your "drivers cd" is made. After you got your CD, quit BootCamp that's all you need it for.

Fire up Disk Utility and select your new FW drive in the left pane, then click the "partition" button. From here you can create a Mac Volume (HFS Extended Journaled) and a Windows Volume of whatever sizes you see fit. Have the Mac volume at the top/beggining of the drive.

Use CCC (freeware) to clone your current OS X boot volume to the newly created one. Go to startup disk in system preferences and select the FW Volume. Reboot. Make sure your new OS X Volume is all pimpy like.

Insert WinXP SP2 CD. Go back to system preferences startup disk and select to boot from the XP CD. From this point you can generally follow the standard instructions.
syaman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work for Firewire, or is it USB 2 only?
fuji257

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syaman wrote:
Will this work for Firewire, or is it USB 2 only?

It should work with a USB external HD all the same. However, FW400 HD performance trounces USB 2.0's HD performance. So if you have a choice, pick Fire Wire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: