123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minimum usable resolution of OSX and workaround?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaupert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Minimum usable resolution of OSX and workaround? Reply with quote

I have been working to get my Mac Mini on my several years old Mitsubish 65" WS-65511 projection TV. It supports the following HD modes: 480i, 480p, and 1080i. While the TV doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input, it does have RGBHV connections and I found a cable on digitalconnection.com to connect the VGA out of the Mini to my TV.

Using DisplayConfigX I was able to get 1920x1080 resolution running on my TV. That sounds sweet, but in practice, since my TV is 1080i (with the i meaning interlaced) you get a very flickery picture, pretty much unusable without getting vertigo.

So that means I have to use the 480p mode (the p meaning progressive). I switched to that mode and found that the 480 vertical resolution is too small to really run pretty much anything- the docked bar along the bottom is movable, which I did, but with many of the apps I ran the application window size is to big. Even DisplayConfigX is too tall to add monitor resolutions- I can't get to the buttons at the bottom of the app.

I know when I switch to a mode less than 800x600 the OS warns me that this may give a less than suitable experience. So I'm wondering if 800x600 is really the minimum I need to really run this OS. I see a lot of people running at 640x480 and other resolutions below 800x600 so I'm also wondering if there are any workarounds for this issue? One I hoped existed but can't find is a way to make a virtual desktop size that is bigger than the actual screen size- mean you can pan and scroll around a larger size than your TV can support. That would be suitable for me- at least I'd be able to get to the bottom of the screens of most apps!

Thanks in advance for you help!

Dave Haupert
websurfer2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: this will work Reply with quote

It's a bit of an expensive route but you can find people selling used equipment.

www.dvdo.com

A couple of models will take any resolution in and scale/deinterlace it to any output. I've been really happy with my iScan HD+. I have a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.67 running a DVI into the iScan at 720p, my Comcast cable box running into the iScan at 480p and my Denon DVD player at 720p and the iScan connects to my TV outputting a steady 720p signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: