123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results Reply with quote

Apple Reports Fourth Quarter Results
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Posted by: Brian

Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2008 fourth quarter ended September 27, 2008. The company posted revenue of $7.9 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.14 billion, or $1.26 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $6.22 billion and net quarterly profit of $904 million, or $1.01 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 34.7 percent, up from 33.6 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 41 percent of the quarter's revenue.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1060.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:33 am; edited 2 times in total
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase that caught my attention was "$25 billion in the bank with zero debt". Shocked
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
The phrase that caught my attention was "$25 billion in the bank with zero debt". Shocked

That's great, but I would like to see them spend more money on improving Leopard instead of marketing. Wink

That's a crap load of money JB.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they are hoarding cash. Maybe they'll buy Microsoft one these days. Actually, that will never happen. I think Microsoft has like $75 billion in cash.
SlipperyRock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Jobs on cheap PCs.

Quote:
"I think what we want to do is deliver an increasing level of value to these customers."

"There are some customers which we chose not to serve,"

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk, and our DNA will not let us ship that. But we can continue to deliver greater and greater value to those customers that we choose to serve. And there's a lot of them."

"We've seen great success by focusing on certain segments of the market and not trying to be everything to everybody. So I think you can expect us to stick with that winning strategy and continue to try to add more and more value to those products in those customer bases we choose to serve."

I wonder where that leaves the Mac mini? It sure could use a value shot in the arm. There are even rumors of its demise again. Is it just me, or is Steve starting to come off as being incredibly out of touch with what his user base wants. I know like 4 people on campus just waiting for an updated Mac mini. It sort of seems like Steve is sticking up his nose at these people. Sad
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyRock wrote:
Steve Jobs on cheap PCs.

Quote:
"I think what we want to do is deliver an increasing level of value to these customers."

"There are some customers which we chose not to serve,"

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk, and our DNA will not let us ship that. But we can continue to deliver greater and greater value to those customers that we choose to serve. And there's a lot of them."

"We've seen great success by focusing on certain segments of the market and not trying to be everything to everybody. So I think you can expect us to stick with that winning strategy and continue to try to add more and more value to those products in those customer bases we choose to serve."

I wonder where that leaves the Mac mini? It sure could use a value shot in the arm. There are even rumors of its demise again. Is it just me, or is Steve starting to come off as being incredibly out of touch with what his user base wants. I know like 4 people on campus just waiting for an updated Mac mini. It sort of seems like Steve is sticking up his nose at these people. Sad

Funny how everyone assumes Steve Jobs is either "out to burn the little guy" or "out of touch with his customers".....

Has anyone taken a moment to think that maybe YOU are out of touch with the major populous of people using/buying Macs?

The proof is in the numbers....

Apple continues to post record numbers for shipping gross units of MACBOOKS and iMACS.... I've never seen or heard anyone say....

"WOW! Apple is selling Mac Mini's like hot cakes, it accounts for 50% of their gross sales"

I have heard similar statements referring to iTunes music sales, Macbook sales, iMac sales... NEVER the MacMini...

Look, I'm an avid Mini lover too people but, let's get our heads out of the sand and face facts. The Mini was never intended to reap huge sales or create some PC convert following, it is an affordable way for someone to switch. Most switchers buy Macbooks and iMacs probably because their tired of looking at the DELL or HP or GATEWAY or whatever logo/emblem on their stuff now and want the "whole package" Apple has to offer. That includes the keyboard, mouse and display.

I believe I can safely say, most people on this forum are not penny pinchers, perhaps a few, but, that's not the crowd Apple caters to. Most Mac users don't mind and can afford to pay more for a quality product.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Astro28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Steve Jobs is proving once again that he doesn't care about Joe the computer user. He really only seems to care about selling overpriced, glossified computers to rich people with disposable income. I'm sorry, but his response about $500 computers and netbooks was just snobbish. I can see the Hackintosh movement gaining even more momentum if they discontinue the Mac mini. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Apple continues to post record numbers for shipping gross units of MACBOOKS and iMACS.... I've never seen or heard anyone say....

"WOW! Apple is selling Mac Mini's like hot cakes, it accounts for 50% of their gross sales"

I have heard similar statements referring to iTunes music sales, Macbook sales, iMac sales... NEVER the MacMini...

That may be true, but Apple doesn't break down the numbers between the iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro. The same thing can be said about the notebook side of their business. However, they do break down notebook vs. desktop sales. I think they said that notebooks now account for nearly 2/3 of all Mac sales.

So it's really hard telling where everything stands individually. I can tell you three things for sure though.

- The Mac mini sells very well on Amazon. Most days it outperforms either of the 20" iMacs.

- The refurbished Mac minis sell very well through Apple. They usually sell out in a couple hours.

- I see a ton of "I want a new/updated Mac mini" post everywhere. Usually after another Apple product is released.

That tells me there is still a lot of demand for a new Mac mini.

I think that's why some people are complaining about the price of other Macs. They feel like Apple could be creeping up the barriers to entry for a new Mac. I mean, if they do away with something like the Mac mini. And let's be honest, the current economy in the United States isn't the greatest. I'm sure that also plays into their frustration.

Personally, I think Apple should stop playing games with the Mac mini. It's sort of time to crap or get off the pot as they say. Let's get these people that are waiting into the fold or let them move on.

JMHO
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astro28 wrote:
I think Steve Jobs is proving once again that he doesn't care about Joe the computer user. He really only seems to care about selling overpriced, glossified computers to rich people with disposable income. I'm sorry, but his response about $500 computers and netbooks was just snobbish. I can see the Hackintosh movement gaining even more momentum if they discontinue the Mac mini. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

Your right! He doesn't care about "joe the computer user" never has, never will. Apple's products are not built for the general public, "those" people buy PC's which ARE built for the general public.

Snobbish, perhaps, out of line, I don't think so. I prefer they focus on higher end products. I'm not looking for a deal or budget machine. I want my machine to work, all the time and I'll pay more for the security in knowing it.

The hackintosh is a very, very small percentage. No "Joe computer user" is going to go out and build a hackintosh.

OGN wrote:
That may be true, but Apple doesn't break down the numbers between the iMac, Mac mini and Mac Pro. The same thing can be said about the notebook side of their business. However, they do break down notebook vs. desktop sales. I think they said that notebooks now account for nearly 2/3 of all Mac sales.

So it's really hard telling where everything stands individually. I can tell you three things for sure though.

- The Mac mini sells very well on Amazon. Most days it outperforms either of the 20" iMacs.

- The refurbished Mac minis sell very well through Apple. They usually sell out in a couple hours.

- I see a ton of "I want a new/updated Mac mini" post everywhere. Usually after another Apple product is released.

That tells me there is still a lot of demand for a new Mac mini.

I think that's why some people are complaining about the price of other Macs. They feel like Apple could be creeping up the barriers to entry for a new Mac. I mean, if they do away with something like the Mac mini. And let's be honest, the current economy in the United States isn't the greatest. I'm sure that also plays into their frustration.

Personally, I think Apple should stop playing games with the Mac mini. It's sort of time to crap or get off the pot as they say. Let's get these people that are waiting into the fold or let them move on.

JMHO

Once again, your pointing out Amazon, refurbs, etc. These are where penny pinchers and cheap skates are buying. Not me. I buy new from the Apple Store online or my local Apple Store over the counter.

You see a lot of people wanting an update to the Mini or an upgrade because they don't want/can't afford to buy an iMac or MacPro. I would lose no sleep if Apple discontinued the Mini. I'll just go buy a new Macbook or iMac when I need a new machine.

You see, for me, it's the experience and reliability that I'm paying for, I'd gladly pay more as long as Apple holds true to themselves and DOES NOT cater to "joe the computer user" and start selling crap that is unreliable and riddle with problems.

If you want a cheap computer, buy a Dell.

If you want the best computing experience and a bit of style, buy a Mac. (just don't complain about the cost)

My 4 cents,

Rant over.....

I'm done.

Cool Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've overgeneralized a bit this time, hackers. Some people (myself included) have a desire for particular hardware that Apple doesn't seem to be interested in making. When I bought my mini, I bought it for its compact size and lack of attached monitor, not because it was cheap. I would gladly pay more for a more capable, more modifiable headless Mac, but Apple has chosen not to make one anymore. (I would put the Cube in this category.)

The same goes for laptops, although in my case, price is more of a factor since it isn't something I use all the time. I wanted a small, light laptop for comfort; the only thing close to that is the MacBook Air and it's really expensive for what it provides. The new MacBooks come closer but I don't want a glossy, reflective display. They're still on the heavy side but I would pay the price. I spent almost $600 on a netbook that I'm very happy with. I would have spent several hundred more to have something like it made by Apple.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I think you've overgeneralized a bit this time, hackers. Some people (myself included) have a desire for particular hardware that Apple doesn't seem to be interested in making. When I bought my mini, I bought it for its compact size and lack of attached monitor, not because it was cheap. I would gladly pay more for a more capable, more modifiable headless Mac, but Apple has chosen not to make one anymore. (I would put the Cube in this category.)

The same goes for laptops, although in my case, price is more of a factor since it isn't something I use all the time. I wanted a small, light laptop for comfort; the only thing close to that is the MacBook Air and it's really expensive for what it provides. The new MacBooks come closer but I don't want a glossy, reflective display. They're still on the heavy side but I would pay the price. I spent almost $600 on a netbook that I'm very happy with. I would have spent several hundred more to have something like it made by Apple.

Overgeneralized? You agreed with what I said! You bought the hardware based on it's merits not it's price. That's exactly my point. The other posters were saying Apple is neglecting a certain populous of "thrifty" shoppers.

My point was that Apple is less concerned with price. It focuses on a quality product and prices it accordingly. They don't build products with an end price in mind. (i.e. they don't say "We NEED a $500 machine to fill that gap") They build products to fill needs first, wallets second.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point hackers, but I still have to partly disagree. Apple is not only neglecting a certain populous of "thrifty" shoppers (your point), but also a certain populous of Macintosh owners, whom, by definition of owning Apple products, are not thrifty shoppers. I agree that Apple doesn't generally build to fill a price niche. But they also don't necessarily build to fill needs first, at least not user needs. Many of the complaints about the latest MacBooks are not coming from shoppers upset by the price; they're coming from shoppers willing to pay the price but not having their needs met with the current offerings (e.g., lack of matte displays and firewire).
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
(e.g., lack of matte displays and firewire).

Firewire agreed, although, I've even noticed I don't use it on my Macbook either. Perhaps that's the general consensus is that firewire is not used by most Macbook users but IS used by most MacbookPro users... who knows?

Matte displays - I've noticed a bunch of my PC brethren using HP's and Dells with glossy displays as well. It's not just an Apple thing. That would lead me to believe that most people like the glossy display or just have no opinion either way, for or against them. It's obvious glossy is the future so rather than fight it, I'm going to embrace it.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
It's obvious glossy is the future so rather than fight it, I'm going to embrace it.

Beyond using an external display, you really have no choice with Apple on that front anymore. I think that goes to the point Fox was making. A lot of us would like to see more choice within the Apple product line.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
My point was that Apple is less concerned with price. It focuses on a quality product and prices it accordingly. They don't build products with an end price in mind. (i.e. they don't say "We NEED a $500 machine to fill that gap") They build products to fill needs first, wallets second.

I wish Apple would follow this policy, Hackers -- but they don't. If Apple weren't building down to a price, they wouldn't have axed all the (more expensive) matte displays in the MacBook range. They wouldn't have (inexplicably) removed FW from the latest MacBooks. They wouldn't ask MacBook owners to pay extra for an IR remote control.

hackersmovie wrote:
I've noticed a bunch of my PC brethren using HP's and Dells with glossy displays as well. It's not just an Apple thing. That would lead me to believe that most people like the glossy display or just have no opinion either way, for or against them.

Dude, you could only be led to believe that, if you assumed that HP, Dell and Apple have actually asked computer users what they wanted. I can't imagine that that actually happened. When I ran a poll on 123MM a while back on this very subject, the clear majority preferred matte displays.

I think that HP and Dell fit glossy displays because they're in a continuous price war and glossy TN panels are cheap. Why have Apple followed suit? I don't know. If we believe Jobs' BS, then it's not on price grounds. I can only assume that Steve likes glossy displays, so we all have to like glossy displays... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: