123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini miniMate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
I'm going to wait a few months to see if Apple doesn't release something similar. You know Apple's quality will be better.

I guarantee it will cost more per MB from Apple.
BIG DUANE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so friggin excited about this. ...and I don't even have a mini yet! I think all these prices are fair for the configurations, but if you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can definitely save a few bucks.

Has anyone ever used a drive from Micronet Technology? I'm curious what the quality is like. Looking forward to the first reviews!

BTW, if the logo is printed, you may be able to get it off with a little solvent or nail polish remover. But test on the backside first - you don't want to jack up the finish!
Mergulhador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Noise level Reply with quote

It's quite impossible not to like the aesthetics of this thing.
Anyway, it would be nice to see some info about how noise it is.
Many mini users love silence too.

Wink
andp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Noise level Reply with quote

Mergulhador wrote:
It's quite impossible not to like the aesthetics of this thing.
Anyway, it would be nice to see some info about how noise it is.
Many mini users love silence too.

Wink

It doesn't have an internal fan so all the noise is going to come from the hard drive. I wonder what brand it is?
senn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG DUANE wrote:
I am so friggin excited about this. ...and I don't even have a mini yet! I think all these prices are fair for the configurations, but if you are a do-it-yourselfer, you can definitely save a few bucks.

I think the price is fair but I'd like to see pictures of the bottom of the MiniMate to see what it's made out of. Apple says you shouldn't stack things on top the mini but I think the MiniMate would be better on top because you'd probably get better access to the USB-Firwire ports without having to reach underneath the all the cables. I'd still like to see a device like the MiniMate with ports on the front but this is pretty cool.
dbatrium

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini miniMate Reply with quote

Everyone seems to be going for the stacking idea, the 160 GB would be good but I would see it in another place adjacent or nearby the Mac mini not stacked where I could turn it back to front or sideways and not see the label and if a skin comes for it skin it.
LOL.
Regards
JJ Laughing
jrt1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini miniMate Reply with quote

dbatrium wrote:
Everyone seems to be going for the stacking idea, the 160 GB would be good but I would see it in another place adjacent or nearby the Mac mini not stacked where I could turn it back to front or sideways and not see the label and if a skin comes for it skin it.
LOL.
Regards
JJ Laughing

Stacking things is a more efficient way of using space. I see two problems with these units, small hard drive cache and no ports on the front.
dbatrium

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini miniMate Reply with quote

Hi jrt1,
In some cases space is a premium even when the Mac mini is only 6.5" square and 2" high, but mostly because its small there is a lot more spare where it may be placed normally or adjacent to other components.

Yes it would be nice after they have gone to so much trouble to repeat a similar form factor to the Mac mini to put the connectors on the front, but if from a design and installation point of view in a rack it would look much neater without cables hanging out the front to do so is not really aesthetic if you stick to stacking, it might be practical but not in keeping with the design characteristics of a displayed device which could be part of a furniture setting and the industrial design precept or desire to keep the cables hidden. Personally it does not worry me and I use devices as I can and prefer it is our Australian easy going approach.

Of course for personal use on a desk top that is something else. It is horses for courses. There may be 3 or many use situations and which may need differing approaches. The neat and tidy rack no cables showing is one way but for normal desk top use for a tidy neat person who accepts cables hanging everywhere, I agree the ports on the front would be good and the side issue where because both items are so small and if cables dont matter then just place them as you would a normal external drive in the most convenient place. Stacking or no stacking is the users perogative. I mean do Apple designers after taking so much time and effort to create a good industrial design expect skins to hide the pristine lines of the design , yes i am sure they expected it. So use is subjective and we were not born in straight jackets.

We have a mixed metaphor of industrial design here, obviously some users would prefer one of the solutions. The efficiency factor remains in the eyes of the beholder and it is a subjective matter.

What suits, suits but everyone has their preferences and it does not need to reflect on the industrial design of the item.

There will always be options and what way suits some will not suit another but the designers obviously went for the design form factor as an attraction and it has worked for some it has a real appeal.

Me I keep an open and objective view rather than a subjective opinion and appreciate someones attempt at a good industrial design solution aesthetically. OK it may not suit everyone but when I last checked the site they were doing a roaring business. There no doubt will be many accessories like this that will come onto the market and some will be more functional and some more aesthetic.

Efficiency depends on perception and the way we use things and that is a subjective matter perhaps the cable solution could be a separate issue and optional for which ever way, just a suggestion, but the market place will eventually decide and so will the user's particular preference.
Regards
JJ Very Happy
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG DUANE wrote:

BTW, if the logo is printed, you may be able to get it off with a little solvent or nail polish remover. But test on the backside first - you don't want to jack up the finish!

The Micronet logo up front has to go! I'd be careful using nail polish remover because the silver is probably painted as well.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
idave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini miniMate Reply with quote

jrt1 wrote:

Stacking things is a more efficient way of using space. I see two problems with these units, small hard drive cache and no ports on the front.

I'm not going to loose sleep over reaching around an entire 6.5 inches to gain access to USB. I agree with those saying the Micronet logo looks cheap up front.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
minime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Mac mini accessory I've seen.
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
Sure will! I'll try to take some pic's as well and post them. Hopefully I will have it by the end of next week...fingers crossed! What do you think about the price? A good USB Firewire hub is going to cost you around $40 and a 160GB drive between $70-$100. So you're already up to $110-$140 and that?s not including a case that will look mighty nice sitting under the mini. I really think $179 is a pretty fair price. Heck the Mini Shack thing cost like $100! Are you looking to get one?

What you could tell us, first important point for the Europeans amongst us: Is the power source flexible, I mean about 100 ~ 230 V 50/60 Hz? Second, if you look at the bottom, is it mounted with normal screws and not one-turn screws or is it put together the same way as the Mini (I guess not) and if you open it, would you be able to replace the hard drive as in a normal external enclosures? A few inside view foto's would be very enlightening!!
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:

The Micronet logo up front has to go! I'd be careful using nail polish remover because the silver is probably painted as well.

I read somewhere a sugarcube would do the trick! Surprised
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
dmoskaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A line-in would have made it perfect.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmoskaly wrote:
A line-in would have made it perfect.

amen!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: