123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows disk dilemma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grinner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Windows disk dilemma Reply with quote

I would like to install Windows XP on a Core Solo mini with Bootcamp. My dilemma is that I don't own a full copy of Windows. I own an upgrade copy of Windows XP with service pack one from an old Dell computer, but I don't think that will work. Please correct me if that is wrong.

Other that going out and buying a full copy of XP, what are my options? I'm certainly not going to go out and buy a $200 copy of XP with Vista apparently coming out in early 2007. Will an OEM version like this one from Newegg work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you are willing to purchase an OEM version. I haven't researched your question, but I hope it works.

I'm sure you will have an answer by tonight.
Grinner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm sure you will have an answer by tonight.

I hope so! I'm looking forward to getting this set up. I really don't think I can live without Microsoft Money. I tried a few of the Mac finance applications and came away disappointed.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use an OEM version of Windows. The only difference between buying an OEM and full version of Windows is that you won't be entitled to support from Microsoft with the OEM version.
serpent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM version runs fine on all my machines(dif ones of course). your upgrade disc has full version on it too! only thing preventing it is the serial key you are using, key is recognized by OS as an upgrade key. I'd suggest D/L'g SP2 on another machine and slipstreaming it to Image of your original disc. as far as support goes I believe MS supports OS for 90 days as OEM and if you need support you can always call their virus hotline which offers Free support indefinatly.

Serpent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: