123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gentoo Linux on Core Duo Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuji257

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Gentoo Linux on Core Duo Mac Mini Reply with quote

I installed from the x86 Live CD with a few minor issues . . .

But OS X won't let me select it as a Startup disk.

So I'll either have to wait on someone to fix it, or make a custom boot cd to boot into Gentoo . . .

Thats a lot better results than before the firmware upgrade, but it looks like a hack is in order. Hopefully someone writes a generic one so other OS's can be bootable and not just one specific Linux Distro.
splen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I'm impressed! so far I have encountered only complete (and almost complete!) faliure in my efforts to install linux on either my G4 mini or ibook! I have tried suse 10, yellowdog 4.0 & 4.0.1 and tonight I'm gonna try ubuntu, If that doesn't work I'll give debian a try I think! (if I sound jealous it's cos I am!)
fuji257

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splen wrote:
wow, I'm impressed! so far I have encountered only complete (and almost complete!) faliure in my efforts to install linux on either my G4 mini or ibook! I have tried suse 10, yellowdog 4.0 & 4.0.1 and tonight I'm gonna try ubuntu, If that doesn't work I'll give debian a try I think! (if I sound jealous it's cos I am!)

Nothing to be impressed over! Any schmuck can download and boot from the Live CD. I didn't do anything different than one would do to install it on a regular PC (other than choosing the Startup disk from System Preferences).

I had a G3 Mini and tried a few distros; I had good luck with Ubuntu/Kubuntu (some minor video issues). And I imagine Gentoo (the PPC version of course) would work as well, though it's harder to install for those not well versed in Linux.
tortoise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux on a Mac? Oh it makes me so sad Smile

OSX is basically Linux done really really really really really really really well!! Smile (I know it's BSD based, you know what I mean)

I used to run Linux and FreeBSD on my PC to get away from Windows, why anyone would want to run from OSX is beyond me.

(I'm of course just messing with ya)
fuji257

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tortoise wrote:
Linux on a Mac? Oh it makes me so sad Smile

OSX is basically Linux done really really really really really really really well!! Smile (I know it's BSD based, you know what I mean)

I used to run Linux and FreeBSD on my PC to get away from Windows, why anyone would want to run from OSX is beyond me.

(I'm of course just messing with ya)

I know what you mean . . .

I'm a big Linux zealot or anything. I just like tinkering around.

I stopped using Linux as a primary OS years ago (when Be Inc. released BeOS R4). After the demise of Be Inc. I knew it would take years before another BeOS or BeOS like OS would be available. After using something THAT nice, Linux was no longer a serious consideration for home use. So I switched to Mac.

I really like OS X (and I even think OS 9 is good!), but if/when Zeta or Haiku is a little more well rounded I'll probably end up when another PC (unless of course they can run on my Mac).
jase

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tortoise wrote:

I know you were messing with us, but I'll answer anyway... Laughing

It's the same reason some people prefer to restore a classic muscle car as a project, instead of driving a nice new, reliable Toyota!

OSX is stable, powerful, comfortable, user friendly, and an all-around fantastic OS that just works.

Linux and *BSD aren't as pretty, but you can pop the hood, tinker to your heart's desire, customize, rebuild, and generally put together exactly what you want. It's more work, but that's where the satisfaction comes in for some people.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with either choice. And I really appreciate the ability do both on my Mac, because I enjoy both. Choice is never a bad thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: