123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCREW WINDOWS! (or windblows)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJagor92

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S. it's an illegal version anyway, microsoft won't get any profit of off me..

Very nice..if only all OSX users were as loyal to Apple as you are!
2Gb Ipod Mini
Jbl Speaker/Ipod Dock
BT Keyboard/Mouse
60 Gb iPod Video (stolen)
30 Gb iPod Video U2 Edition

Dell Inspiron 5100 Laptop
Windows XP

Dell Dimension 4300 Used as Media Center. (rarely used)
hangtown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the people who don't want to ever run windows calm down and realize this is not for casual users who don't care what OS they use? Some of us do things like us vs.net 2005 and other development tools that only run on windows. Yet we prefer our macs for personal and media use (and because it's a nicer OS). But we need windows. In order to only run one machine, this (or better yet, virtualization) is the answer.

Calm down. This DOES meet the needs of some of us.
bsnoel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgnovenie wrote:

I have had absolutely no protection software on my PC machine for the last three years. How many virus' etc have I got?

NONE

If your stupid enough to download things from suspiscious websites, and open strange attachmetns then you deserve a virus.

I also only reformat becuase I run out of HD space, not becuase windows slows down.

Nevertheless now that windows is official and all, I'll probably switch at end of year or when revision B comes out. I like the idea of a very portable computer hooked up to my 120cm tv.

mgnovenie,

How can you be certain that you have had NONE if you are not running AV or anti-spyware? First of all, not all spyware and worms do obvious things that would alert you to their presence. A large portion of SPAM on the Internet comes from BOTS. BOTS are PCs that belong to ignorant people who are oblivious to the fact that an SMTP server is running on their machine and they are clueless to the fact that someone else owns their PC.

Second, it would be unwise to assume that if you don't download things from suspicious websites, and open strange attachments, then you are safe. Many worms spread to other machines just by the fact that they are connected to the network. There is no need for the user to do anything whatsoever to get infected with one of these worms. SQL Slammer is a textbook example of this, but there are thousands more.

Third, the WMF bug in Windows this year was being exploited by banner ads that were appearing on several mainstream news sites. This is because the banner adds are not always hosted by the mainstream site, or even the banner add company, they are often referrals to third party sites. This WMF bug allowed backdoor trojans to be dropped without the users knowledge. At the time this was going on, there was no patch available to fix this from MS. So, you may assume you are on a safe site like CNN, but it would be unwise to assume your safe enough to not need AV or anti-spyware. I have personally seen this happen with a banner ad on a very popular Mac news site too. You might assume that using an alternate browser like Firefox would keep you safe. Wrong, they have had some serious vulnerabilities too.

On your invincible Windows box, run "netstat -an" you had better hope you can explain every TCP port and connection.

I do IT security for a living. People with the attitude that they don't need AV or Anti-spyware because they are too smart to get stung are the ones that scare me the most. People who do use proper countermeasures are rarely the problem. People who do not are the problem!!! Wise up, and load AV if you are going to run Windows, you are not invincible.

Making statements like "I have had absolutely no protection software on my PC machine for the last three years." speaks volumes about you. Just don't assume that you are making a good impression.
mgnovenie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donot think hat I am too smart. I do download from dodgy russian music sites and P2P networks.
I just think that the virus issue is exagerated a bit. remeber the Y2K bug? anyone? did planes fall out of skies?

Perhaps I have got a billion worms and virus, but it is not affecting my copmuter at all.
Congratulations to the people that managed to get crap onto my computer, but as long as it doens't affect me, then it doesn't bother me.
I can understand that in the corporate world one little bug or worm is horible news and can cost a lot to a company and be quite devestating. But to the average user it doesn't really matter.
Quote:
Wise up, and load AV if you are going to run Windows, you are not invincible.

God NO! I am aware that I cn easily get something, but the chance of getting it is low.

Also, on a similar note: Say I have a Windows machine hooked up to my netwrok and some spyware gets onto it, could it then through the network enter the mac? Not actually infiltrate it but read files and read info off the mac?
If you wnated awesome security on your whole network would you have to have only macs?
Benjamin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rastafadrian wrote:
I got windows xp running just so I can play C&C generals, and I didn't set up an internet connection, for a reason hou should all know... Very Happy
P.S. it's an illegal version anyway, microsoft won't get any profit of off me..

I just managed to make a Windows XP SP2 install disc from my Windows XP SP2 upgrade disc, which is of course quite illegal, but hey! They deserve it! Windows Vista, as somebody whose name I forget already implied, is a TOTAL (and uglier) conversion of Tiger. Just take a look at the "new" and "revolutionary" options of Windows Vista:

- Speech: something my G3 Imac already has, if I think it to be necessary (its supplied on my Mac OS 9.2.2 disc);

- Dashboard widgets: although Microisoft calls it differently, its the same;

- Aqua: I took a look at a sort of screenshot, in which the back ground of the desktop was almost the same as the Aqua desktop of already Mac OS 9.

There are some more things, but I thought these three to be most important to be mentioned. next one to try to convince me that Apple is worse then Microsoft and unimaginative will get quite a kick in his but from me in person. I already look forward to it Wink
edsel6502

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SCREW WINDOWS! (or windblows) Reply with quote

AJagor92 wrote:
Apple enabled XP on their computers. Is this what this world is coming to? I hope that the vast majority who use windows on their macs use it for corporate reasons. Mac OSX is obviously the better system. Hopefully people try that out and like it better!

Why would you make a statement like that?. Smile

All operating systems are tools. You use the right too for the job. Just because MacOS is your personal choice. That don't mean windows sucks. MacOS is *not* the better operating system IMO

Btw. My particular criteria for an OS is performance not virus, spam etc. If you're dumb enough not to practise safe computing its you.

So far. XP seems to launch firefox 50% faster than MacOS X.

Its a hell of a lot more easier do something in XP than it is in MacOS. I haven't done any driver benchmarking yet. But I betcha that the drivers for the XP implementation for the GMA950 is a hell of a lot better than MacOS X.

ps. like I says, OSes are tools. Here is the list of OSes I've used *professionally* over the years. I hope this explains my stance on this.

- VMS
- BSD
- BeoS
- MacOS 6-10
- Unixes from
- IBM (AIX)
- HP (HPUX)
- Apple (yes, apple had unix)
- SCO
- Linux (I started with slackware)

Smile

I dislike intensely when peeps make blanket statements like that. Much better to say.

"MacOS X is better for newbies"
"Windows is better for gaming"
"Unix is better for enterprise" <- depends

btw. Apple DOS 3.3 is the shit. Nothing else matters Smile
castufari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there are some applications that are Windows only with no suitable OS X equivalent. OS X in the workplace? It wouldn't happen in my enterprise, we have too much stuff that is Windows only (such as our healthcare info system). My work laptop boots XP, FreeBSD and SuSE. I have servers running Solaris, NetWare, Windows. All have their good and bad points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: