123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio hook up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Audio hook up? Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Just had a simple question about hooking up an intel mini's audio to a sharp 20" lcd.

I was wondering if this will work?
http://www.monstercable.com/THX1/productPage.asp?pin=1613

If not what would be better interms of hooking up audio without going through a reciever.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio hook up? Reply with quote

mac101 wrote:
Hello everyone! Just had a simple question about hooking up an intel mini's audio to a sharp 20" lcd.

I was wondering if this will work?
http://www.monstercable.com/THX1/productPage.asp?pin=1613

If not what would be better interms of hooking up audio without going through a reciever.

That's the way to do it. I'm assuming the Sharp 20" LCD does not have an optical input. Please post a model # or an image of the inputs.

READ: I would not use that cable from Monster. The right angle of the (3.5mm / 1/8") connecter will be a pain in the butt on a mini. That thing is specifically designed to allow a low profile connection, so you can mount something close to a wall etc. With all the other connectors coming out of the back this will be of no benefit. Monster although decent quality is overpriced. Being that you will be going into a LCD with medium quality sound output (at best) I would look for a cheaper cable with no 90* connectors. I wouldn't get caught up in the brand names unless I was outputing to a high end receiver. I don't often recommend junk, but you might even be okay with a really cheap cable from a dollar store, The Source (Radio Shack) etc.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can use a generic cable like that one. You would only want to get a somewhat better cable if you have a lot of interference near your cable. Like say a router, cordless phone and/or cell phone, something like those that transmit RF. Otherwise if you are doing sound on a TV's speakers, you don't need an expensive cable. Most TV's don't really have that great of quality speakers inside.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio hook up? Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

That's the way to do it. I'm assuming the Sharp 20" LCD does not have an optical input. Please post a model # or an image of the inputs.

Model#
lc-20b6u-s

Unfortunately there is no optical input. Got this tv a while back when dvi,hdmi,optical, and firewire were only on high end panels.

Thanks for fast replies guys keep ideas coming, if another cable comes to mind let me know.

Last edited by mac101 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac101

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Yeah you can use a generic cable like that one. You would only want to get a somewhat better cable if you have a lot of interference near your cable. Like say a router, cordless phone and/or cell phone, something like those that transmit RF. Otherwise if you are doing sound on a TV's speakers, you don't need an expensive cable. Most TV's don't really have that great of quality speakers inside.

I total agree about sound quality on alot of flat panels but for now it has to do.

The mini is in a location were rf might be a problem. Hopefully I will have a beter place for it in the future.

I would like to know how everybody else's mini is hooked up for audio(i.e. seperate computer speakers, integrated HT,etc).

The more configurations the better. Even if it is not yet reality and only a dream, post it up! Very Happy
sikosis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't use any gold plated cables ... unless you're plugging into something that has gold points. I've heard it reacts with the metal and can degrade very quickly otherwise.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikosis wrote:
I wouldn't use any gold plated cables ... unless you're plugging into something that has gold points. I've heard it reacts with the metal and can degrade very quickly otherwise.

Actually it's the opposite. Gold has better conductive qualities compared to regular metal jacks. They are also less prone to break down/degredation. It would only degrade if you pull out the connector everyday at least 2-3 times. That would effect the plating and degrade the signal a little. But it then wouldn't be any different from a regular metal jack. Even if the gold plated plug is connected to a regular metal jack, it will still conduct a little better.

Also then again, it will not make any difference on any flat panel TV speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sharp LCD has an Optical Digital Output. Can I connect the Mini to it, or will sound only go out of the TV to the Mini, and not vice versa?

The Sharp also has a 3.5mm stereo minijack nect to the DVI input. As well as RCS audio connectors.

Which of these is optimal for playing music/videos on my TV?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsycloneJack wrote:
My Sharp LCD has an Optical Digital Output. Can I connect the Mini to it, or will sound only go out of the TV to the Mini, and not vice versa?

You can connect it to the Mini, but as you said it will only send to the Mini, not receive anything from it.
PsycloneJack wrote:
The Sharp also has a 3.5mm stereo minijack nect to the DVI input. As well as RCS audio connectors.

Which of these is optimal for playing music/videos on my TV?

Do you mean RCA connectors? The difference between RCA and stereo mini-jack will be negligible, especially for TV speakers, only sounding slightly better through RCA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, typo....RCA. I think I am going to run the sound through that...the Apple store has a minijack to RCA cable.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsycloneJack wrote:
Yup, typo....RCA. I think I am going to run the sound through that...the Apple store has a minijack to RCA cable.

You can get a good cable from RadioShack. A generic or even the generic with gold connectors, it will be cheaper than what Apple has to offer more than likely. Not to mention the more variety of cables to choose from and in all different lengths.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this from www.crutchfield.com for 6' for $15 and 12' 30. The Toslink is nice and snug. If the link dosen't work go to the main cructhfield site and do a search for mini toslink

Arista Optical Digital Audio Cable
Cable with mini plug adapter

Item #043185106A

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-orxUHPOL9WL/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=20100&I=043185106A&search=mini+toslink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: