123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Firmware Update 1.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Mac mini Firmware Update 1.0 Reply with quote

Mac mini Firmware Update 1.0
Wednesday April 5, 2006

Apple has released the Mac mini Firmware Update 1.0. This update is for Mac mini computers with Intel processors only, and is required before installing Apple's new Boot Camp software. Firmware updates do not appear automatically in Software Update, so you must download them manually. Apple also offers the Firmware Restoration CD v 1.0, which can be used to restore the Mac mini's firmware back to its original factory condition. To update the firmware on your Intel-based Mac mini:

1. Quit all other open applications.

2. Click Shut Down in the Mac mini Firmware Updater window and wait for your computer to shut down.

3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac mini until the power indicator light flashes repeatedly to begin the update.

A status bar indicates the progress of the update.

Important: Do not interrupt the update.

Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and opens the Mac mini Firmware Updater.

4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.

If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/463.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance this thing helps with wireless reception?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more interesting, this Windoze thing gets.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told my co-worker, the more and more I think about putting Windows on my new Mac Mini, the more and more I come up with the question..... Why?
meglakowski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you know, maybe I'm a total Mac bigot now, but this is the reason I got a Mac in the first place - so I wouldn't have to deal with Windows anymore! If you have to have a Windows-only program, there's always Virtual PC (right?). I'm feeling the "why" here. Maaaaaybe if you're a total hacker, but if so, do you really need or want the company writing software and firmware for you? I guess that would speed things along, still . . . or if you're a developer, now I could see that, but not on your primary machine I hope! I guess it's just the Edmund-Hillary-esque "because it's there" . . .

And just the vaguest thought of installing any Microsoft code (that isn't from the Macintosh work group) on my dear little mini just makes me feel . . . unclean . . . dirty . . . no, no, NO!!!

1gen Mac mini │ PowerPC G4 1.42 GHz │ 512 MB RAM │ Mac OS X 10.4.11 │ Acomdata mini Pal 160GB
jase

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meglakowski wrote:
So, you know, maybe I'm a total Mac bigot now, but this is the reason I got a Mac in the first place - so I wouldn't have to deal with Windows anymore! If you have to have a Windows-only program, there's always Virtual PC (right?). I'm feeling the "why" here.

There's no Virtual PC for Intel Macs at the moment. And no other virtualization software for the nonhacker yet. So without Bootcamp, there isn't an easy way to run Windows stuff on an Intel Mac yet.

I'm no fan of Windows, but I need a system with it for my job. Since I have a Mini, that meant buying a cheap laptop just to run Windows. Being able to boot Windows on my Mac, even if I rarely use it, might have saved me $700 or so. And knowing that he would probably be able to run Windows soon convinced my brother to switch and buy an iMac. He also needs Windows for work sometimes.

A lot of people don't want to run Windows, but they have an occasional need for it.
fuji257

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Not just Windows that gets some support . . . Reply with quote

I've been trying to install BeOS on my Mac Mini, this will help.

Darwine actually will install "BeOS PE for Windows" but won't boot it.

This new update allowed me to boot from a custom made BeOS cd, but it can't find a Beos volume (another cd) due to a lack of firewire support in the beos loader I'm guessing.

I guess I'll need to borrow a PC. The hang-ups I keep running across are all due to the lack of BFS support in OS X. I could install FreeDOS with a BeOS loader in a tiny fat partition, then get BeOS up and running on the rest of the drive - - transplant the drive to a FW enclosure - - plug it into the MM - - sudo bless the DOS volume - - and then I think it will boot.

Of course PRIOR to the firmware upgrade, I don't think OS X would've seen the fat partition as bootable no matter what . . .
Paul Stamatiou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the firmware update and will attempt installing windows this weekend. I just need to download Windows from my MSDN Academic Alliance account then I'm good to go. I'd need to backup my stuff too, not sure if I trust this beta.
SFBags Sleevecase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
meglakowski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
There's no Virtual PC for Intel Macs at the moment. And no other virtualization software for the nonhacker yet. So without Bootcamp, there isn't an easy way to run Windows stuff on an Intel Mac yet.

Ah. I haven't really kept up with Windows-on-Mac issues since we have a Windows box (for my husband) networked with the mini, but if there's no Virtual PC anymore or it won't work in Rosetta or whatever then that would be a problem.

Quote:
A lot of people don't want to run Windows, but they have an occasional need for it.

I totally understand that.

On the plus side, if more people don't have to choose and can just buy a dual-boot machine, then they'll see what they've been missing/why most Mac people snicker when a Windows person starts going, "But wait 'til Vista comes out!" Yeah, we'll wait alright . . . anyway, to be able to do the Windows crap you have to do AND to be able to enjoy OSX, now that I think about it, that is a bonus, isn't it? I'm understanding now.

Still, I don't want it on my machine!

1gen Mac mini │ PowerPC G4 1.42 GHz │ 512 MB RAM │ Mac OS X 10.4.11 │ Acomdata mini Pal 160GB
jase

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meglakowski wrote:

Still, I don't want it on my machine!

I can't argue with that!

It does seem kind of a shame to put Windows on a Mac, even with a good reason. It's like having a bird crap on your car, and not being able to wash it off.. Laughing
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
It's like having a bird crap on your car, and not being able to wash it off.. Laughing

LOL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the Mac Mini Core Duo, that the option for dual installment of an OS such as Windows, simply turns my stomach.

It does that because the Future of Apple, is uncertain for me. What does this all mean? I know their stock prices rocketed as they announced Boot-Camp.

I understand why, and yet, I don't.

Microsoft, figures that they will be able to sell "MORE" Windows. But I doubt it. People on the Mac, DON'T WANT Windows on their computers. And those who just switched, left all that behind. And finally those who still depend on certain Apps, and also own a PC, won't just buy a new Mini as it is no longer "that" cheap.

Furthermore, there are really not that many who fall into that category.

Apples statement is more realistic. For those who JUST NOW, want to switch can have an easier time switching. That is all. The lure of getting PC users over on the Mac. Simply because they think, that by allowing them to play in both systems, that the MacOS X will prevail. It may and yet, it may not.

What I fear is that certain companies, the lazy ones, simply don't want to make Mac os application, but they still do. Their releases, for the mac are always long in the making and updates are rare. For such companies, I fear that while they might make product for the mac platform may be used by quite a few mac users. It may be games or regular applications.
I fear that they might simply stop making them, as they don't want to invest any more time and efforts into making Mac OS apps.

The market could inadvertently push the MacOS X to its death. Probably not, but now the power is in the hands of the developers.

The MacOS X, Leopard or 10.5 has to be so fantastic so different, SO MUCH FASTER, and revolutionary, that those who make applications still see that there are more possibilities in the MacOS.

And that the new OS will SUCK the windows users into the world of the Mac. And please the current mac community.

I know it is a tall order, but this is what they have to do in order to ensure that the REASON why they still are the best, would remain as clear as day and night.

Oh and then there is the invitation of Hackers onto the mac, who just found a new playground...

So where will this lead us?

How certain is our future now?

Sad

-Alfred Tennyson
robhfla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have no need to have windows on my mini. There is no reason why I'd want windows. However some people for whatever reason, need to run programs that will only work under windows. For them this is awesome news. Now they don't have to keep or go out and buy another windows pc.

I think this whole Boot Camp thing is just one baby step in a whole series of steps. First, it is still in beta, so it's not yet ready for prime time. That alone tells you there are better things still planned for it. When Leopard comes out, it will be a better program. You might not even have to re-boot your computer to use it, which will be a big step forward.

What I see happening is this. Apple like any other company likes to string you along with small baby steps. They introduce something, and then every 6 mons improve it JUST a little to keep you interested. They dangle the carrot just in front of you to keep you moving forward. Boot Camp is just like that. For now you can run windows, but you need to re-boot. Probably when Leopard comes out, (in 6 mons??) you will no longer need to re-boot. You'll probably be able run windows within OS X. They'll then probably in a little while (6 mons??) add some other little feature(s). Then when OS X 10.6 comes along, you'll be able to run programs that are written for windows to run natively within OSX. No need for Boot Camp or emulation or anything else. A truely universal computer. BAM!!
fuji257

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot Camp changes NOTHING (well, not as much as you think).

Microsoft OS's on Mac's (with Intel chips even) has been being done since the MacII as far up to the Beige G3/OS 8.1.

see here --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac286

Developers did not stop developing Mac programs.

On current Mac's before Boot Camp, hacks were available to run native for x86 Mac's as well as emulators like VirtualPC that even work on G3/G4 Mac's.

What's changed? It's a little easier (Boot Camp), a little cheaper (x86 cpu already on-board), and more native (faster). Whoop-Dee-Freakin-Poop.

If Apple did not release Boot Camp, a third party would have. It's just not that much of an engineering marvel to make XP work on an x86 Mac. So all of at least two of the three changes, WOULD HAVE happened regardless.

Lets pretend "OS X" has 5% of the desktop OS market. How many of that 5% do you think has NEVER used Windows/PC, and has NO IDEA what Wintel offers? Uh, yeah . . . you are right: 0%. That's Z E R O. None. Nada. Zip.

Apples marketshare, has ALREADY made the choice that for whatever reason, they want OS X and/or Apple hardware.

Now the 95% that uses Wintel PC's; how many of these users have little to no experience with OS X? I would guess about a lot more than zero.

Now when they go to replace their machines, they can by a Mac with ZERO risk. They decide they don't like OS X? They can continue booting XP. Nothing lost. If Boot Camp just gets 10% of Windows users to by a new Mac, and only keeps half of them, Apple would have DOUBLED OS X's marketshare.

Apple is willing to take the "risk" that anyone (or most) that try OS X, will favor it over Windows. I think they are correct, but only time will tell.

So, Apple's current "OS X" users will continue to purchase OS X software at the same rate; and new users will add to the mix. The more people buy OS X software, the more developers get interesting in making native OS X apps (or ports).

You can cook up all the scenarios in the world how this will ill effect Apple or OS X; but like stated at the beginning of my post, it's already been done before (for the most part) and back in the day - Apple commanded a larger market penetration than they do today (prior to Boot Camp). So it could be argued that Apples market shrank as Windows compatibility with Mac's was vanishing. Now it's back. Nothing new.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuji257, I agree with most of what you're saying. My only fear is that Adobes and Microsofts of the world give up on OS X over the next five years. Imagine those companies saying - Why bother with a Mac version? If people want to run Photoshop or Office let them boot into Windows. I really don't think that will happen, but it could.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: