123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple announces Boot Camp [Updated]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is HUGE HUGE HUGE! Jobs is a freakin genius!! He is playing the industry like a grandmaster of chess. What a brilliant multi-pronged assualt (ipod, itunes, intels, dual boot). A friend of mine one of the biggest microsoft weenies on Earth said to me the other day "man that Macbook pro looks sweet, I've been thinking about getting it just don't give me sh*t about it!", I almost fell out of my chair. My only gripe about this is now I have to upgrade my mini. Being able to boot XP to play certain games is rockin! Good job Apple! I think they just shifted into 6th gear.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sross wrote:
This is HUGE HUGE HUGE! Jobs is a freakin genius!! He is playing the industry like a grandmaster of chess. What a brilliant multi-pronged assualt (ipod, itunes, intels, dual boot). A friend of mine one of the biggest microsoft weenies on Earth said to me the other day "man that Macbook pro looks sweet, I've been thinking about getting it just don't give me sh*t about it!", I almost fell out of my chair. My only gripe about this is now I have to upgrade my mini. Being able to boot XP to play certain games is rockin! Good job Apple! I think they just shifted into 6th gear.

Let's hope the game thing does work well. I think it should. Apple has a limited amount of video card options. This should make it rather simple for support/development.
sross

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very eager to see how well the new minis can handle XP based games.
imfullofit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to Linux three years ago when I was a desktop user and had tons of x86 hardware lying around. Lots of people who were new to Linux set up dual booting on their machines. Most of them also deleted the windows partition within the first year because they never really used it and wanted some extra space on their hard drive. This provides a security blanket for a lot of people.

I have said for years that windows damages many users self esteem because it asks them to answer questions that they don't know the answers to and tells them that all the problems that they have with their computers are their fault. I can’t tell you how many people I know who have lost all their files and who don't realize that it isn't their fault and are now timid about doing anything on their computer. For these people having a XP boot option available so that they can slowly find and learn how to use all the os X software is great. These are people who will boot into to XP to play solitaire. This is a great option for non-tech savvy people.

For gamers I think this is a real winner. Gamers spend money on good hardware and can appreciate apple's great systems. In the linux world these were the people who kept their XP boot partition. I would hear people talk about booting into XP for a few hours of gaming then coming back to their "real" operating system to get some work done. I am a gamer myself but I decided to just get a game console and skip gaming on my PC. I also think that in the next few years we will see most games released for os X so this will become less of an issue.

The last group of people are the "I gota keep using this proprietary solution that made all my files unreadable in any other software back in 1984" crowd. This is an OK solution for these people but I think we will see something like VMware where you just run it in a window on your desktop in the next year or two. You will take a slight performance hit with software running on top of another system but who cares when you have a dual core 2ghz chip and 2 gigs of memory. For the time being dual booting is a great free solution.

I don't need to use windows for anything but am happy that apple is giving me the option for free. Most other software companies would charge for this.
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvashawn wrote:
Paulie wrote:
I'm going to start installing XP on my Mac mini tonight. Do you guys think I should go with FAT32 or NTFS?

Well, if your windows partition is going to be bigger than 32GB it has to be NTFS. If you want to be able to read AND write to the windows partition in OSX than it has to be FAT32.

I'm probably going with a smallish FAT32 partition myself. That way I should be able to make and restore backups for both partitions in OSX if needed.

So, one can have shared partitions; I mean read and write to the windows partition? I still don't quite understand, it was always so, HFS and other partitions could not go on one disk before.. Rolling Eyes
ecking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucifer is reaching for those hot water bottles right now...
Bufordt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this. First you start using intel chips. Then you start being able to book windows on to the mac. What's next. Mac on regular pc machines. I think before long you'll see Apple supply Mac OS either to Dell or someother computer company. Then watch Apple take off.

Bufordt
spoonman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
spoonman wrote:

Just wanted to share my experience so far....

Cool! Cool

I hate to repeat myself, but what resolution are you running at on the Windows side? Will it support 1680x1050 and 1920x1200?

Well, I don't have a widescreen display... so all this monitor that I have here at work will do 1600x1200. Sorry I couldn't help more...
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
syaman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Guild Wars? Very Happy

Actually, I am thinking of running Guild Wars on an intel Mac mini Twisted Evil

Does anyone know how well the Intel GMA 950 chip handles the graphic demands of Guild Wars?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bufordt wrote:
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this. First you start using intel chips. Then you start being able to book windows on to the mac. What's next. Mac on regular pc machines. I think before long you'll see Apple supply Mac OS either to Dell or someother computer company. Then watch Apple take off.

Bufordt
Na, won't happen. That would undercut their computer sales and the profit margin is high on those for Apple.
the_webers_inc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Screen resolutions in XP, and Installing XP on my new iMac! Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate to repeat myself, but what resolution are you running at on the Windows side? Will it support 1680x1050 and 1920x1200?

I can confirm that Windows supports 1680x1050 after successfully installing Windows XP on my brand new 20" iMac last night.

Backing up a bit... (long)

So this last Saturday I went to my local Apple Authorized Reseller and ordered a new Dual Core 2.0ghz 20" intel iMac to replace my 1.42ghz G4 Mac Mini. Didn't have to work yesterday, so I went to pick it up. When I walked in the door first thing I saw was one of the store's Techs installing Windows XP on a 20" iMac just like what I was picking up. He told me about boot camp and that He had trouble with getting it to work right. (Windows installed for him, but it messed up the OS X partition, so he was unable to dual boot) Well this was cool news, I was going to try narf's solution as soon as I got the new iMac home, but now Apple was laying it all out for me!

As soon as I got home, woke up the Mac Mini, went to Apples Boot Camp page and started downloading the 83MB package. Beings the iMac was replacing the Mac Mini in the Living Room, the Mac Mini was replacing an old B&W G3 Tower in my bedroom. So in order to accomplish this move, some cleaning had to be done. So fast forward a few hours, and the iMac is now setting on the Desk in the living room. cool. Fire it up, setup the account on it, register it, and run software update Sad . the update to 10.4.6 alone weighed in at 191MB! So got software update off and running doing what it was supposed to.

I figured this would be a good time to dig out that extra copy of XP that I had. Found it, and it was an original copy of XP no SP1 or SP2 :S . Well the iMac said it had about 1 & half hours of updating to do yet so I when down stairs and fired up the old generic 1ghz Pentium III Machine that had windows XP on it already. Copied the XP install CD to a folder on the hard drive of that computer and dug up the XPSP2 installer. Now the nice thing about the Service pack installers is not only can you update a computer with XP already installed on it, you can also up date the installation media via a method call "Slipstreaming". Extracted the files from the XPSP2 installer, ran the update on the folder containing a copy of my original XP, and there you have it, the folder that I had copied my XP CD to was now updated to SP2. Now to get that back on a CD I used a program called BCD http://nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/ which lets create a boot-able ISO image of your updated XP install files. I don't have a burner in the PC anymore so it stops after making the ISO. Once the ISO was made, went back upstairs to the iMac, connected to the share on the PC that I had the ISO on, copied it to the iMac.

Now software update was done, restarted, launched boot camp, darn it, I knew I forgot something. Went to Apple's support section and download and installed the Firmware update. Before launching boot camp again, I burned the ISO that I had made on the PC to CD. Ok, launched boot camp, partitioned the HD, burned drivers CD, inserted the new XP SP2 CD that I had just finished making, and reboot. Chime, grey screen, and then the old familiar windows installer after choosing the right partition to install to, formating it in NTFS (old habit, wish that I had done Fat-32) it was the same as any other Windows installation that I have done. After installing the drivers CD, I went to bed. Haven't booted back into windows yet today but it's nice to know it there.

I had used Windows almost exclusively until September of 2000 when I bought my first iBook (BlueBerry). My Household then started to sway towards Macs with 2 more iBooks and finally a mac Mini in August of last year to replace the old 1ghz PC as our main computer. Now with the new Intel iMac, I can have the best of both worlds. sure beats trying to use Virtual PC.

T. J.
Bufordt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Bufordt wrote:

Bufordt
Na, won't happen. That would undercut their computer sales and the profit margin is high on those for Apple.

Maybe so but you got to remember that Microsoft doesn't sell computer and look at the money they have in the bank. Bet Steve has been thinking about this for a while now.

Bufordt
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: This part had me rolling... Reply with quote

"Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

Also, did anybody notice that since bootcamp was announced the stocks are skyrocketing??

I just got a job at an Apple store so I guess its a good time to take advantage of stock options!
1GB RAM
Dual Boot W/Yellow Dog Linux
DellApple

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does anyone want to put Windows Xp on their Mac? Do me its a slap in the face to everything Apple has ever done. Its this the beginning of the end for OS X?

From a stunned recent Switcher!!
jeremyh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More gaming tests. Happy to report that HalfLife2 seems to work on Core Duo. I tried HalfLife2: Lost Coast first. Framerate is not all that great, but to be fair, my Dell laptop with a Quadro FX GPU in there isn't all that hot either. Playing regular HL2,looked G-R-E-A-T and played great as well. Don't have particular framerates for you yet, but at 1024x768, I was easily able to play the game. I toned down the setting a bit (shader detail low and bilinear filtering), but I managed to play it pretty easily.

W00t!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: