123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earphones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Earphones Reply with quote

I bought some Etymotic ER-6i earphones last week: they're amazing. I'm hearing stuff I'd never heard before in songs I've been listening to for years!

They're isolator earphones, too, so life becomes like watching a music video.

Highly recommended. Far superior to the standard iPod 'phones.

The Affinity Trap - "knocked my socks off" - Norman Spinrad

www.martinsketchley.co.uk
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Earphones Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
I bought some Etymotic ER-6i earphones last week: they're amazing. I'm hearing stuff I'd never heard before in songs I've been listening to for years!

Those are good headphones, I like them just as I like Shure's headphones. The only thing is I try to stay away from in-ear headphones, because they're bad for your ears.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Earphones Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Martin wrote:

Those are good headphones, I like them just as I like Shure's headphones. The only thing is I try to stay away from in-ear headphones, because they're bad for your ears.

Really? They are worse for your ears?
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you wear them for long periods at high volume. Cheap earphones like those supplied with the iPod force you to turn up the volume to cut out external noise such as traffic. Isolator earphone cut out all external noise, meaning you can have the volume at a lower level. They are, therefore, better than cheap earphones. The Etymotic earphones I've got have the added advantage of excellent sound reproduction. I've haven't suffered earache since buying them.

But, ANY kind of earphones, no matter how expensive, will damage your hearing if worn for prolonged periods and at high volume.

SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin wrote:
Only if you wear them for long periods at high volume. Cheap earphones like those supplied with the iPod force you to turn up the volume to cut out external noise such as traffic. Isolator earphone cut out all external noise, meaning you can have the volume at a lower level. They are, therefore, better than cheap earphones.

Well it's all in-ear headphones regardless of how expensive they are. I highly doubt that those headphones cut out all external noise, like say a lawn mower. Plus if the volume is loud enough, all you really need is 30 minutes or so to cause slight to moderate damage.
But it has been researched...
Quote:
In a study published last year in the journal Ear and Hearing, researchers at Harvard Medical School looked at a variety of headphones and found that, on average, the smaller they were, the higher their output levels at any given volume-control setting.

Taken from the StarTribune.

It is the fact that it sits inside of your ear and not out of it that cases more damage, because that makes the transducers smaller. Of course it could depend a little on how efficient the little transducers are or say if there is some noise canceling, but that can only make a puny difference. In-ear headphones have less air in the way of say a closed or open air big headphones. So your ears get the brunt of the sound waves. It is better for sound to be further away from your ears and at lower levels.

So yes, ANY kind of earphones, no matter how expensive (or the type), will damage your hearing... But in-ear headphones are more likely to do so than bigger open air or closed headphones.

BTW, you don't have to have an earache for the headphones to cause damage.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon?

lordvader311

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Senheiser PX 100 folding headphones in white not only match the iPod but offer great sound for the price. I hate the earbuds from anyone always have and love these. The ones mentioned earlier in this post are very fine units. As a person with permanent ringing in the ears not from listening but from a childhood illness I can say anyone who listens to music that loud with headphones is quite frankly an idiot.
4GB iPod nano (white)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: