123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual booting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Dual booting Reply with quote

So, anyone here dual booting their Mac Mini's yet?

(I will certainly be once I recieve mine...so expect to see some content here from me once March 8th rolls around) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Linux will it be?
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
ahh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Dual booting debian and OS X Reply with quote

Hey mavherzog,

This may be a little dated:

Just bought a mini yesterday and couldn't resist putting linux on it the first night. Dual boot is the option I went for. Debian the flavor. Here is a step-by-step tutorial I found that worked flawlessly. I had the hardest time with partitionnig the hard-drive. It was a bit tricky. Other than that, debian and OS X working perfectly on my mini!! Total time: ~2.5 hours.

If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help.

Peace.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual booting debian and OS X Reply with quote

ahh wrote:
Hey mavherzog,

This may be a little dated:

Just bought a mini yesterday and couldn't resist putting linux on it the first night. Dual boot is the option I went for. Debian the flavor. Here is a step-by-step tutorial I found that worked flawlessly. I had the hardest time with partitionnig the hard-drive. It was a bit tricky. Other than that, debian and OS X working perfectly on my mini!! Total time: ~2.5 hours.

If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to help.

Peace.

I don't see the link in your post! Could you post the link again please. I have an older Mac that I want to try Debian on once I get my mini but I have never done the Linux thing before! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: ooopps Reply with quote

Here is the link:

http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/

I'll give you a quick run down.

It has you repartition the drive, which destroys all data. Make sure to make a backup, or in the case of the Mac Mini, do it first thing (after you play with it a minute, of course.)

Then you reinstall OS X at the end of the drive, i.e. last partition created.

Then install linux and off you go. Debian has native support for PPC.

Not sure how familiar you are with linux installations, but debian's is pretty straight forward and their howto's on their website are very good. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: