123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to a mac...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justinlau_92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: New to a mac... Reply with quote

Hello... just asking for your opinion... i am a Windows user and i wanna try out how does like to use a Mac... Should i get an old iMac G3 (Very cheap in the auctions)Very Happy first or just get a new Intel Mac and start from there...Question Question

Thx for your opinion
iPod Shuffle 1GB
boxcar182

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it really depends on what your budget is and what you use your computer for, if it's just the old music, web surfing etc then go with an iMac of maybe a PowerMac G3 or G4 for future upgrades. But if you are into Video Editing, Musical Composing, Photo Editing, then go with either an iMac G5, PowerMac G5 or an Intel Computer, but if you do need it for pro use, do not get integrated graphics which means your cheapest buy would be the Intel iMac ($1299)
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 400 mhz iMac G3 as a second computer right up through the latest operating system (Mac OSX 10.4). It works very well, but it is noticably slower than a Mini, any G4, or even a 400 mhz PowerBook G3 that comes with a 1 mb L2 cache. You are also limited to the 15" monitor the iMac G3 comes with. But as you noted, it is very cheap right now and would give you a good introduction to Macintosh computing (as long as you know that a current model is much faster). I think that if you like it, you will quickly want something newer (and with a larger, probably LCD, monitor). So I can see two strategies here - either buy the iMac G3 to try it out, or assume you're going to like it and buy something more current (like a Mini).
JediTimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if you get a old iMac G3 you will just end up wanting something better. so in my opinion it would be best to get a intel machine but if you are going to get a old mac make sure you get one with Mac OS X.

PS3 60GB owner.

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that can resist stupid fads, copy and paste this into your sig.
justinlau_92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Thx and another question... Reply with quote

Hey thx for your reply... So how much memory (RAM) is adequate on a imac G3 and how do you get it onto the internet ? Plug it into a ethernet modem and it will b on the net ?
iPod Shuffle 1GB
Bobaloo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thx and another question... Reply with quote

justinlau_92 wrote:
Hey thx for your reply... So how much memory (RAM) is adequate on a imac G3 and how do you get it onto the internet ? Plug it into a ethernet modem and it will b on the net ?

On an iMac G3, you want at least 512mb of RAM, better yet, 1GB. There are 2 slots to install Ram so if you can get 2 512mb simms, that would be best. If you want to run 10.4, which I was, you want as much memory as you can get. As far as getting on the internet, it's just about that easy, plug in the an ethernet modem, dsl or cable and the machine will do the rest. I've had 4 iMac G3s and they are great machines.
AppleTVII
16GB iPod Touch 32Gb iPhone
32GB Wi-Fi iPad
justinlau_92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Hey hey... Reply with quote

Hey dudes... Thx for your comments...Guess wat... I got the iMac G3 already... Kind of cool and compact good machine, although with 128MB RAM it is good already... Will send some pics when i am ready ...
iPod Shuffle 1GB
boxcar182

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and welcome to Mac. I think you will like your machine more if you upgrade the RAM but hey if its good for you then it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: