123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini: Component to HDMI: Need Advice!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsfanohio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Mac Mini: Component to HDMI: Need Advice!! Reply with quote

I am making several changes to my HT. I will be using a Mits HC3000U projector. My receiver will have two HDMI inputs which will be taken up with an Oppo and my cable DVR. My plan is to connect a mac mini to my receiver via component (using the VGA adapter > component transcoder) to my denon receiver (2807) which has component to HDMI conversion.

My questions are: (1) does this set-up make sense? (2) what would the ultimate video quality be through the Mits projector with this set-up?

I hate to spend another $700 just for one more HDMI input.

If someone has a better idea, please share it! Thanks
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well going thru all those conversions and different components is going to degrade your signal.
Well you wouldn't have to spend another $700, but more like half of that for this HDMI splitter, then you could program your remote (which if you are using Denon products you should have a decent universal) to switch HDMI inputs. Of course it would cost half of the $700 upgrade (with HDMI-to-DVI cables, etc.), but it would be more work to switch.

The option is out there.
But if you go thru your proposed route, it is going to degrade the signal, how much I can't tell you. It might end up working OK for you. Try either one, unless your TV has a VGA input.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
Well going thru all those conversions and different components is going to degrade your signal.
Well you wouldn't have to spend another $700, but more like half of that for this HDMI splitter, then you could program your remote (which if you are using Denon products you should have a decent universal) to switch HDMI inputs. Of course it would cost half of the $700 upgrade (with HDMI-to-DVI cables, etc.), but it would be more work to switch.

The option is out there.
But if you go thru your proposed route, it is going to degrade the signal, how much I can't tell you. It might end up working OK for you. Try either one, unless your TV has a VGA input.

It is has a 15 pin mini D -sub input, is that VGA? If so, then I could connect directly , bypassing the receiver, if that is the case, what kind of video quality would that produce vs an HDMI connection?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtsfanohio wrote:
It is has a 15 pin mini D -sub input, is that VGA? If so, then I could connect directly , bypassing the receiver, if that is the case, what kind of video quality would that produce vs an HDMI connection?

15pin D-Sub is VGA. So you can use that connection. Umm for a VGA vs. HDMI. Well I use VGA on my monitor and it looks fine.

But I'll give you this quote...
Quote:
DVI is better than VGA for TFTs(LCDs) because they are digital and VGA is analog. A TFT displayes its picture digitally, pixel per pixel. Via DVI the panel gets data for each pixel, so the picture generated in the graphics card will match exact with the pixels on the panel itself.

Not so with VGA. First, the picture is generated digitally in the graphics card. Then it's converted to analog. In the TFT they will be converted again to digital (=> senseless twice conversion => quality loss), using the phase and the clock, and it'll be calculated which pixel should display what color. As the phase and clock can't be adjusted so precisely that a pixel of a picture generated by the graphics card will be displayed by the appropriate pixel on the panel. Means that the picture will be interpolated a little bit, which again means quality loss.

The electron cannons of the CRT need analog signals, that's why VGA is the best for CRTs and DVI would make no sense here.

Personally if you went with the D-SUB VGA connection you could save a few hundred dollars. It is going to look better than your first solution you proposed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini: Component to HDMI: Need Advice!! Reply with quote

[quote="dtsfanohio"]I am making several changes to my HT. I will be using a Mits HC3000U projector. My receiver will have two HDMI inputs which will be taken up with an Oppo and my cable DVR. My plan is to connect a mac mini to my receiver via component (using the VGA adapter > component transcoder) to my denon receiver (2807) which has component to HDMI conversion.

My questions are: (1) does this set-up make sense? (2) what would the ultimate video quality be through the Mits projector with this set-up?

I hate to spend another $700 just for one more HDMI input.

If someone has a better idea, please share it! Thanks[/quote]

The less conversions, the better.

The most straightforward solution is to use a HDMI switcher. However, you don't need to sped $700 for a good one. Check out:

http://www.monoprice.com

They have 2 input switchers for less than $100 and 5 input for ~$140.0 Both have gotten good feedback on AVSforum.com.

Magnus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: