123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EyeTV Experiences...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: EyeTV Experiences... Reply with quote

Hey All...

Adicted to my new Mini I'm now looking at the El Gato EyeTV500 to record HD content. I have read through a lot of the documentation and it seems to be the choice for me. But I have a few questions.

Information regarding their software EyeTV2 software. What I am hoping to acomplish a few things including scheduling recordings, and importing them into iTunes/FrontRow.

I know you set it to export to iPod format, but can you se the resolution etc for the file. 320x240 isn't going to cut it on my HD LCD.

How processor intensive is the recording. Will it kill my ability to watch a different video while recording in the background?

Any other feedback and experience would be great and very helpful...

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is the Mini (G4 or Intel) is not powerful enough to display 1080p HD content and still downgrade it. I use the EyeTV 200 and love it. If the universal version of the EyeTV software will run the EyeTV 500 on a Core Duo, I'll buy one in a heartbeat.
shagberg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any scoop on when the Universal Binary for the EyeTV will be released? I haven't seen any dates yet....

Scott
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ElGato's site the current release is suppose to work the Rosetta, but a Universal won't be relased for a little. EyeHome is further behind.

The Duo will play 1080p fine. The Solo will play 720p fine. 1080i which is recorded is about 720p, so I think it might just be good enough... And a lot of content is not even 1080i...

Shane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Elgato EyeTV 500 and a 1.42GHz Mac mini ...

I have screenshots of the EyeTV software here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaron_c/sets/72057594048130724/

My mini drops frames with recorded 1080i content.
For back-up purposes, I lower the file size to 720p and encode in H.264.

I plan on upgrading to the Core Duo mini - once my younger brother
buys my current mini off me. Wink

BTW - If you order your EyeTV 500 direct from Elgato, you can purchase a refurbished model for $199 ($349 new). Mine is a refurb ..
Elgato EyeTV 500
Sony MFM-HT75W 17 inch Widescreen HDTV Display
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shagberg wrote:
Does anyone have any scoop on when the Universal Binary for the EyeTV will be released? I haven't seen any dates yet....

Scott

The EyeTV 2 software is a Universal Binary

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain&countrytogo=36&signal=all
aaron.c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
shagberg wrote:

Scott

The EyeTV 2 software is a Universal Binary

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain&countrytogo=36&signal=all

Yep ... this is true! Very Happy

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EyeTV 2.1 is a Universal application. It requires a Macintosh computer with PowerPC G4 (500MHz or faster), PowerPC G5 or Intel Core processor, and Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or later. We recommend Mac OS X 10.4.5 with all software and security updates installed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a screenshot of the application's Get Info window:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaron_c/113840797/
Elgato EyeTV 500
mdgolom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Elgato has released the universal binary for EyeTV 2, has anyone tried the EyeTV 500 on a Core Duo Mini? I'm wondering if this is fast enough to handle 1080p HDTV. According to Elgato's websire, it still requires a dual G5 for 1080p playback. If the core Duo works, I'm going to seriously consider buying one and the EyeTV 500 for my HTPC. Of course I just bought my 1.5 G4 Mini a month ago. Doh!
aaron.c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdgolom wrote:
Now that Elgato has released the universal binary for EyeTV 2, has anyone tried the EyeTV 500 on a Core Duo Mini? I'm wondering if this is fast enough to handle 1080p HDTV. According to Elgato's websire, it still requires a dual G5 for 1080p playback. If the core Duo works, I'm going to seriously consider buying one and the EyeTV 500 for my HTPC. Of course I just bought my 1.5 G4 Mini a month ago. Doh!

Does it mention the Intel Mac mini, Intel iMac or MacBook Pro on the Elgato site? If not, maybe they haven't updated the site to reflect the new Core Duo (& Solo) machines Question

I've read that the Core Duo mini handles 1080p content just fine.
(... and the Core Solo handles 720p just fine) Cool

Once I sell my mini to my brother, I'll be getting the Mac mini Core Duo.
It might be another month or so ... Embarassed
Elgato EyeTV 500
mdgolom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After downloading the update to EyeTV, I found the following in the read me file:

HDTV on Intel Macs
Due to the increased computing power available with Intel Core Duo processors, it is now possible for EyeTV to display full resolution HDTV 720p and 1080i on Macs with Core Duo processors, i.e. the MacBook Pro and the new iMacs. For the Mac mini, only models with Core Duo processors support HDTV playback at full resolution.

The Intel Mini Core Duo will HDTV!
Smile
ShaneHale

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news. I was looking at a Refurb EyeTV500. Definitly will be upgrading the Solo to a Duo.

Shane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneHale wrote:
This is great news. I was looking at a Refurb EyeTV500. Definitly will be upgrading the Solo to a Duo.

Shane

Definitely the way to go ... savings of $150! Wink
(You could put that $$$ towards some accessories or upgrades)

Yeah, it's totally cool that the processor can be swapped out ... Cool
Elgato EyeTV 500
shagberg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news about the universal binary, and that it will work for a Core Duo. I'm a life-long PC user, and this will push me into the Mac realm....

About the refurbished EyeTV 500's: Does anyone know if the warranty is the same as a brand new one, and what they did to refurbish them? To me, it seems strange that they would have a lot of refurbished 500's already sitting around....

Thanks for the response!
Scott
mdgolom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The refurbished units carry the same warranty as the new units, which I believe, is 1 year. I'm not sure what they do to refurbish them, but I bought an EyeTV 200 and haven’t had any problems. I'm going to order an EyeTV 500 later this week.
cnelson81

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will DL the new version of EYETV 2 for w/ universal binary tonight, running it on my core duo 1.66 w/ 2gig ram.... as it is eyetv2 is running under rosetta and workes pretty damn good, cant wait to see how it does natively... i will post again

Just got it installed and might I say, wow... I thought it worked well before.. now its SUPER fast on start up, and amazing. eyeTV an amazing product i recommend it to everyone.. especially those who use the intel mini.. wow i mean wow......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: