123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: NewerTech miniStack V2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain yesterday

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: installing the seagate 750GB on your own Reply with quote

has anyone tried buying the 750GB and the ministack seperately? the page for the 0GB model still says
Quote:
"..with capacity for one 3.5" drive (up to 500GB!)"

...but i assume that you SHOULD be able to install seagates drive yourself (barring any hidden spec changes between the 500GB model and the 750GB, which is fairly doubtful)

anyway, should all be well, you can save quite a bit:

http://tinyurl.com/r3ffz <-- "chief value" found using froogle, $440 for 7200.10 (+5 bucks for three day shipping)

+ 79.95 for 0GB model of the miniStack
= 524.95

buying them seperately, you save ~ $75!

Now THAT is hardly chump change

(it ends up costing you 70 cents / GB rather than 80 cents / GB)

is there any reason NOT to buy them seperately? how hard can assembly be? the disk at chief value comes w/a 5-year manufacturors warranty as well

unless someone replies with a "No! Don't do it! You forgot about <X>!", i'm going for it
macinabox

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 0GB model comes with the cover already removed, it's realy easy, just plug in the drive and about 8 screws later your'e done! I saved $25 doing it that way with the 250GB.

BTW I found I like to put the V2 on top of the mini so it's easier to get at all the ports.
macinabox

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almoast forgot there is a jumper on the back of the drive that needs to be set to "cable select" for it to work right in the V2, again realy easy.
captain yesterday

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Software Reply with quote

Just noticed this:

Quote:
miniStack™ V2 80GB to 750GB Solution models include:

EMC Retrospect Express 6.0/6.5
Designed for safety and
security, EMC Retrospect protects your desktop or notebook against loss due to viruses, newly installed software, user error, damaged hardware, hardware upgrades, hackers, and lost or stolen computers. EMC Retrospect Express provides complete protection, ease of use, and fast backups with 100% accurate restores.

Intech
Speed Tools
Intech Speed Tools consists of a suite of utilities managed by an application which controls the launching, documentation and version control of each individual component utility, such as Disk Defrag and QuickBack. An easy-to-use installation and removal application is provided to make installation a snap, yet powerful enough to allow you to customize which utility component set you would like to create.

for those that have the software suites, are they worth it? do you use them?

Intech charges 89.95 for speed tools
EMC is more difficult to price-out as Retrospect Express is made as an OEM bundle, and isn't sold retail
boatj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desrod wrote:
Well, after some serious debugging, I've figured out the "problem" with the Ministack...
... NONE of the ports on the device are powered. With that much power going through the device (AC + usb2.x power in my case), you'd think the USB or Firewire "hub" ports would be powered... they're not.

Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until I tried to record with an iSight I bought to replace an USB Cam that I thought wasn't fully compatable with QT, iMovie, BTV Pro, etc.

From NewerTech's website

• USB 2.0 High-Speed 3-Port Hub
• Firewire 1394A 3-Port Repeater/Hub

(further down the page the word Repeater is replaced by Powered

6) Powered 3-Port USB Hub
7) USB Uplink Port
8) Powered 3 Port Firewire Hub
--------------------------------------
SO......are the USB/FW ports powered or not??
The OWC site uses neither Repeater or Powered.

I have the original Stack and I believe it was advertised as having Powered ports, and is why I bought it, but I see now that NO mention one way or the other is made in the manual, but on the box it reads:
• USB 2.0 High-Speed 3-Port Hub
• Firewire 1394A 3-Port Repeater/Hub

Last edited by boatj on Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
macinabox

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SO......are the USB/FW ports powered or not??

I got USB power here.. I just tried hooking the ministack up to my mini via a 6ft USB extension pluged into the keyboard and the keyboard also uses the extension that came with it from apple (I'd say that's unpowered) and I am still able to mount the drive within the ministack and mount a power hungry USB flash drive in any of the USB ports on the ministack.

I have tried powering up the ministack without anything connected to it and I get nothing until I plug it in to a USB port.. seems logical considering it's useless without a connection.
saber41

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the v2 Ministack with a 320GB HDD for $209 two days ago (it should be arriving today), anyway, I just checked the OWC site and the price has fallen another $10 to $199..... Confused just my luck....I still think that I got a good deal though...
jimuhh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Dueling System Folders? Reply with quote

I've got the old HD from my previous mac just sitting there.

The enclosure-only option seems ideal for doing something useful with it, but I'd like to add it without wiping it clean and am concerned about having my previous install of os x still on there. Would the other system folder conflict with my mini's OS?
macinabox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dueling System Folders? Reply with quote

jimuhh wrote:

The enclosure-only option seems ideal for doing something useful with it, but I'd like to add it without wiping it clean and am concerned about having my previous install of os x still on there. Would the other system folder conflict with my mini's OS?

I don't think the old OS would conflict at all.

I once had mine set up with a bootable install of tiger on both the mini and the stack with 3 seperate user accounts on both and I had no conflicts.
greg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dueling System Folders? Reply with quote

jimuhh wrote:

No. It won't conflict. The computer looks for the system folder on the specified boot disk.
Dell 1905FP
Logitech Wave Cordless Desktop
jimrobinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the ministack will spin down and sleep when the Mac mini sleeps?

I don't want the HD to spin 24/7, as I only use the mini for an hour a day to check email and surf.

Thanks,

Jim
macinabox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimrobinette wrote:
Does anybody know if the ministack will spin down and sleep when the Mac mini sleeps?

I don't want the HD to spin 24/7, as I only use the mini for an hour a day to check email and surf.

Thanks,

Jim

Yes it will if you use Fire Wire alone or in combination with a USB connection as I have it set up.
jimrobinette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the timely reply. It is much appreciated. Since I have never owned a FW device, I was skeptical about "sleeping" and external drive.

Thanks again,

Jim

macinabox wrote:
jimrobinette wrote:

Thanks,

Jim

Yes it will if you use Fire Wire alone or in combination with a USB connection as I have it set up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: