123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Security Update 2006-002
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robhfla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the security update today. So far I haven't had any problems. Hope it stays that way.

I've only been using a mac since last summer, so don't have too much experience to draw from, but so far have never had any problems with the updates from Apple. I have been following a few 'rules' that I've picked up along the way, and they seem to do the trick ...at least so far.

1. Never download the update as soon as it comes out. Give it a few days, and let other people test it out for you. You'll soon hear if there any problems with it very quickly.

2. Back up BEFORE you update to an ext HD that is bootable. That way if the update trashes your system you just boot from the ext and backwards clone and you're back in business... no down time.

3. ALWAYS repair permissions BEFORE you update, and then again AFTER. Then re-boot again.

4. During the update close everything else down. Have nothing running while you update.

Anyone else have any good tips??
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:
ack_mac wrote:
NEMMRRC wrote:
I called Applecare yesterday and since we could not get Disk Utility to run after the OS loaded they suggested Archive and Install.

Jaime

I sure hope that this is not a sign of things to come. I recently had a similar problem after installing this patch and ended up doing an Archive and Install as well. I spent several hours trying to get my computer working properly again...

I expected better from Apple... Maybe they should consider not trying to rush these patches out so fast and do some real quality control..

Did you reapply 10.4.5 from the combo download?

I am about to that now after feeling somewhat secure that things are back to normal.

I am so glad I kept m original installation intact on my internal drive. I was able to back up my data using it prior to the Archive and Install.

Jaime

Yes, I did install the combo updater and have not had any problems. I also back everything up and did not lose anything... It was just annoying more than anything..
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:

Yes, I did install the combo updater and have not had any problems. I also back everything up and did not lose anything... It was just annoying more than anything..

I think I am back to the same point where I was prior to this crazy security update. I am seriously considering some sort of network storage or even another firewire drive so I can clone my drive every so often for a full backup. Any suggestions?

Jaime
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:

I think I am back to the same point where I was prior to this crazy security update. I am seriously considering some sort of network storage or even another firewire drive so I can clone my drive every so often for a full backup. Any suggestions?

Jaime

I have two identical external FireWire drives and use SuperDuper to automatically back one up to the other on a schedule I've specified. And I always do an additional backup before installing or upgrading.

The registered version of SuperDuper will do a smart backup (only the files that have changed) so it takes me no more than 5 minutes to back up a drive with nearly 100GB on it. I can't recommend SuperDuper highly enough--it's great software with incredible support from the author.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Smile

Jamie
robhfla

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a Super Duper user here.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to backup your most critical files using Toast if you have a Superdrive. The newer versions of Toast can span across multiple DVD's. Not as robust as having two dedicated hard drives (which is actually what I have), but definitely a quick and easy way to make some backups..
Scotty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: 10.3.9 security update problems Reply with quote

My computer now occasionally crashes. For no reason I can think of, the screen darkens and a dialogue box in several languages says "You must re-start your computer now!"

Any ideas?

Scotty
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 10.3.9 security update problems Reply with quote

Scotty wrote:
My computer now occasionally crashes. For no reason I can think of, the screen darkens and a dialogue box in several languages says "You must re-start your computer now!"

Any ideas?

Scotty

It's a kernel panic. You can read more about it here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227

And here are some steps to take to diagnose the problem:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25392

Have you installed/upgraded any software or hardware lately? Any system changes?

Smile

Jamie
resuna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're doing is creating a mirror, not a backup.

Mirrors are great for hardware failures, but I've had software failures take a while to show up and by that time they'd been faithfully copied to the mirror.

Unfortunately the state of backup software on the Mac is so bad I've given up and gone to mirroring as well (using SilverKeeper). I dearly wish Apple would implement the standard UNIX tape drive interface so I could use my nice expensive tape drive for real backups on my Mac.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
What you're doing is creating a mirror, not a backup.

Mirrors are great for hardware failures, but I've had software failures take a while to show up and by that time they'd been faithfully copied to the mirror.

Here's a really fascinating debate on that subject. I agree that SuperDuper really does mirror rather than backup, but something is better than nothing I suppose.

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/shadedgrey/comments/the_ninety_nine_per_cent_solution/

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: