123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple releases Security Update 2006-002
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Apple releases Security Update 2006-002 Reply with quote

Apple releases Security Update 2006-002
Monday March 13, 2005

Apple has released Security Update 2006-002 via Mac OS X's Software Update and on the Web. The company says this release improves the reliability and security of the following components: Mail, Safari, LaunchServices, and CoreTypes. The following non-security issues introduced by Security Update 2006-001 are also addressed by this update: Download Validation, apache_mod_php, and rsync.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/457.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems after the update. I guess that is good enough for me.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
No problems after the update. I guess that is good enough for me.

lol I guess so. Same here, except when I updated my firewire boot drive, it restarted with the internal one. That has never happened before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget to repair permissions before and after you install the upgrade. Might not be necessary but it seems to help. and my Mini always tried to boot of the internal every time I install a update, just have to hard boot and restart both on them and it snaps back to how it should run.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many issues with this update. My menu bar icons no longer display, and I can't make them appear. My console.log is being filled with this:

Mar 14 21:10:57 MacMini crashdump[133]: SystemUIServer crashed
Mar 14 21:10:58 MacMini crashdump[133]: crash report written to: /Users/dmathews/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SystemUIServer.crash.log
Mar 14 21:10:58 MacMini crashdump[268]: SystemUIServer crashed
Mar 14 21:10:59 MacMini crashdump[268]: crash report written to: /Users/dmathews/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SystemUIServer.crash.log
Mar 14 21:11:00 MacMini crashdump[276]: SystemUIServer crashed
Mar 14 21:11:00 MacMini crashdump[276]: crash report written to: /Users/dmathews/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/SystemUIServer.crash.log

What to do???
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Don't rush into this one... Reply with quote

It doesn't actually solve any problems that turning off "open safe files" won't do a better job on, because they haven't fixed the real problem.
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neb wrote:
What to do???
What's in your crash log?
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't rush into this one... Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
It doesn't actually solve any problems that turning off "open safe files" won't do a better job on, because they haven't fixed the real problem.

Interesting link. It seems like every time you turn around there is another update for LaunchServices.
iLife's a Bitch!
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason that there's a new variant of the old cross-zone and script injection exploits in IE.

You MUST NOT USE the same bindings for local and untrusted documents for the same reason that you don't use the same buckets to carry drinking water and night soil.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojofrojo wrote:
Dont forget to repair permissions before and after you install the upgrade.

Good advice. I do this every time. So far, so good.
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Partitoned firewire drive and internal hard drive gone Reply with quote

I installed this update tonight. I have been traveling on business so the software update screen was waiting on me when I got home. I installed the update. Restarted. That was the end of normality.

Upon restart my firewire boot drive did not mount with a firewire icon. Also, my second partition on the firewire drive won't mount. My internal hard drive won't mount. When I open Disk Utility it crashes. The report dialog will not stop spinning and I cannot even send the report back to the mother ship.

If I shut down, turn off my firewire drive and then restart, my mini boots from the internal drive and things return to normal (internal drive still has 10.4.4). I turn on my firewire drive and both partitions mount. I tell my mini to restart with the firewire as startup and the problem persists.

Any suggestions?

Jaime
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Partitoned firewire drive and internal hard drive gone Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:
Any suggestions?
To start with, you should at least be able to boot from the internal drive and check the filesystems from there.
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Partitoned firewire drive and internal hard drive gone Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
NEMMRRC wrote:
Any suggestions?
To start with, you should at least be able to boot from the internal drive and check the filesystems from there.

I will try this.
Thanks.
Jaime
NEMMRRC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned that there is now a new version of the security update:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2006002v11macosx1045ppc.html

I'll have to try it once I get home. Before I do that I'd like to undo the security update. Is there some way to back out a software update short of a full system backup?

Jaime
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEMMRRC wrote:
Is there some way to back out a software update short of a full system backup?
Not that I know of.

If they sent out a new update they certainly know that people will need to apply it over the existing one so it should be OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: