123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tiger is announced!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nip-ring wrote:
Those coupons that came with my mini....what are they good for? Is Tiger an upgrade from Panther or considered a whole new OS? Is there any price break with if it is? Or is it the same price whether your buying Tiger as an upgrade or a maybe a whole new OS?

~bill

Looks like they are worthless! You can just buy Tiger as a stand alone product you don't need to own a prevous version. Apple doesn't offer OS's the way Microsoft does.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoften wrote:
Anyone pre-order yet? If so did you look at http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=TigerOffer .

The seminar launches along with Tiger on April 29. You can't see it now.
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the issues with the Mini video card being unable to fully support core image in tiger were resolved?
idave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Does anyone know if the issues with the Mini video card being unable to fully support core image in tiger were resolved?

Good question! Hopefully we'll learn more about it as the 29th gets closer. Everything I've read about the mini's ATI 9200 says it will not support Core Image. I'm interested to see how Tiger runs on the mini in general. Does anyone else have the feeling Spotlight is going to hog system resources? I wonder if Apple is going to have a Tiger launch event or if they're just going to wait for WWDC?
bubba

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
bubba wrote:

Good question! Hopefully we'll learn more about it as the 29th gets closer. Everything I've read about the mini's ATI 9200 says it will not support Core Image. I'm interested to see how Tiger runs on the mini in general. Does anyone else have the feeling Spotlight is going to hog system resources? I wonder if Apple is going to have a Tiger launch event or if they're just going to wait for WWDC?

I'm not as worried about spotlight as I am the dashboard. Spotlight, to me, looks like a glorified unix 'find' command. I would expect it to know about recently accessed files/applications, but all those other programs would have to be cached from a scan done during an off hour (at least I would expect this).

Dashboard looks way video intensive. I'm also wondering that even if the dashboard isn't visible, aren't all these programs running in the background (weather, etc). Seems like running these additional programs would slow things down.
san2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:

Dashboard looks way video intensive. I'm also wondering that even if the dashboard isn't visible, aren't all these programs running in the background (weather, etc). Seems like running these additional programs would slow things down.

I don't think Dashboard will be that bad, it's basically a pumped up version of Konfabulator. The only thing that looks video intensive with Dashboard is the water effect when you drag widgets to the desktop. Call me boring but I'm really looking forward to Safari RSS and Mail 2 in Tiger.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

san2005 wrote:

I don't think Dashboard will be that bad, it's basically a pumped up version of Konfabulator. The only thing that looks video intensive with Dashboard is the water effect when you drag widgets to the desktop. Call me boring but I'm really looking forward to Safari RSS and Mail 2 in Tiger.

Jai Chulani from Apple "the guy in charge of the mini" was just on yourmaclife talking about the Mac mini and said the "ripple effect" would not work. The Mac mini will run Tiger "we knew that already". Applications written to take advantage of Core Image will NOT work because the ATI Radeon 9200 is not a core image programmable chip, tiger will scale the applications back but they will still run. He said he's been running Tiger on the mini and said it runs fine.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer thanks for the info. I just got done listening to the archive. That's the first time I have heard an Apple official talk about the Mac mini and core image. "no ripple effect" bummer!
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of core image graphic cards. The Mac mini, iBook and eMac are not core image ready.

ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: the only reason I bought the superdrive option... Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
was to burn a copy of Tiger when it came out Twisted Evil

me too!

san2005 wrote:
Call me boring but I'm really looking forward to Safari RSS and Mail 2 in Tiger.

I hope Safari gets faster.
iLife's a Bitch!
idave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
List of core image graphic cards. The Mac mini, iBook and eMac are not core image ready.

If the rumors are true it looks like the eMac video will be upgraded and able to handle Core Image.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0504macs.html

"The eMacs will also see their 32MB ATI Radeon 9200 video card upgraded to a 64MB ATI Radeon 9600 card, to take full advantage of new graphics capabilities found in Tiger's Core Image technology."
billygoat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list of other effects or applications that take advantage of Core Image and therefore won't work on the mini?
minime

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of pre-order deals for Tiger other than the Amazon one?
andp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:

Jai Chulani from Apple "the guy in charge of the mini" was just on yourmaclife talking about the Mac mini and said the "ripple effect" would not work. The Mac mini will run Tiger "we knew that already". Applications written to take advantage of Core Image will NOT work because the ATI Radeon 9200 is not a core image programmable chip, tiger will scale the applications back but they will still run. He said he's been running Tiger on the mini and said it runs fine.

no ripple effect! Crying or Very sad I guess there are only 199 new things in Tiger for mini owners! Wink
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Blazer thanks for the info. I just got done listening to the archive. That's the first time I have heard an Apple official talk about the Mac mini and core image. "no ripple effect" bummer!

Cool!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: