123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini XGRID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerrels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Mini XGRID Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity.. is it possible to Xgrid the mini?

I understand that usually the Xgrid is used for huge math/scientific calculations. Can it be used for other purposes like video/3D rendering or photoshop.. with a small setup of, for instance, 3 or 4 minis? Does Xgrid needs special software/programs?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet someone out there is working on one. I think it's only a matter of time before we see Mac mini grid. Maybe when Xgrid 2 is finalized.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://images.apple.com/acg/xgrid/pdf/xgridguide.pdf

Have you read this?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
MacPredict.com

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xgrid could be used for video/3D rendering, but the software would have to be written specifically for this, you can't just set up an Xgrid and have word and excel running twice as fast!

One good current use for a mini might be as a Logic node for audio processing. I think the software for each node is free, so you'd only be paying for the hardware. Unfortunately though gigabit ethernet is going to make a big difference in that sort of application, which the mini doesn't have, though you could use a firewire network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: