123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini: 1.5GHz Core Solo vs. 1.66GHz Core Duo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbstingray
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Apple is infamous for not updating the Macs often (can't say the same about iPods lol)

These processors in the Macs now are pretty nice. The 1.66 Duo retails for $245 us, so Apple is really taking a cut in terms of the amount they make per unit and a processor upgade'll kill 'em even more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: solo Reply with quote

James T Kirk wrote:
If you not planning on selling the items which are removed...

But who would you sell them to? not basic Mini owners thats for sure because they already have the same amount. Most other machines (laptops) come with the same amount - if not more, so no sale there either...
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: solo Reply with quote

Sparkstack wrote:

But who would you sell them to? not basic Mini owners thats for sure because they already have the same amount. Most other machines (laptops) come with the same amount - if not more, so no sale there either...

You might be right according to the memory, but not all all of them do have a DVD-rom/cdwriter combo. Under the same token a 50 bucks upgrade is about the same you would get for selling the old unit, if you're lucky. I see a lot of old MacMini memory on the internet, selling for peanuts, even my 512 mb memory is not that wanted as I hoped. Strange as normal memory is getting more scarce due to the fact more productivity is into DDR2 memory and Flash memory.

P.S. I have an uncle (my wife's actually, as she's American) living in Naperville! Nice area!
Juspe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have anyone tested the difference between Mac Mini Core Solo with 1 GB memory to Mac Mini Core Duo 512MB memory?

I'm buying Mac Mini soon and I don't really know what should I buy coz I don't actually use any kind of professional programs on it.

But if someone knows something about the difference between those models in those specs, please tell me so I now better what to buy. Smile

Btw, greetings from Finland, sun is shining and the spring has finally come.
Sparkstack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so.

There is a comparison between the solo and duo models HERE but i suspect you may have already read that. Bottom line. The solo with 1Gb of memory may be more responsive than the stock 512Mb. But i would say that the Duo is a much better machine in every way.

Of course, what you could do is get a core solo now and in 18 months or so swap out the processor for a nice fast Core Duo. It can be done very easily. See HERE

Hope this helps.
Juspe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I think that helps me enough. And yes, I had read that comparison article.
But like you said, Duo is much better machine.

I thought so too but I just wanted second opinion. Now I think I'm going to buy Core Duo with 1Gb of memory. Smile

So thanks a lot of your opinion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: