123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video: Disassembly of Intel-based Mac mini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Video: Disassembly of Intel-based Mac mini Reply with quote

Video: Disassembly of Intel-based Mac mini
Thursday March 9, 2006

It's time to breakout that putty knife again! OWC has posted a new video showing how to disassemble the Intel-based Mac mini. The video covers upgrading the Mac mini's hard drive, memory, and optical drive. You can download or view the video in three different resolutions:low, medium, and high. The high resolution video weighs in at 102MB and is encoded in h.264. We think this video is very informative and a must-see for Mac mini enthusiasts getting ready to crack open their new computer.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/456.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy breathes hard into the mic a decent amount.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like he had more trouble getting this off than in the last video. When I get my mini I'm hoping to make a video as well. =D
SFBags Sleevecase
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off-topic, but seeing this video reminds me that the Intel Mac mini uses a SATA hard disk... Why didn't Apple put an external SATA port on the back?

Also, would it be possible to connect an external SATA hard disk to replace the internal 2.5" one? It should be much faster than FireWire 400, I think.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
Why didn't Apple put an external SATA port on the back?

Saving features for the Power Mac replacements?

Confused

Jamie
Inky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo, very nice. I was nervous about removing the Airport card and doing the Ram upgrades, but this seems pretty easy to do now.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
Yvan256 wrote:
Why didn't Apple put an external SATA port on the back?

Saving features for the Power Mac replacements?

Confused

Jamie

But is it possible to open up the Intel Mac mini and connect a regular SATA cable to the motherboard and to an external hard disk? Through the security slots, perhaps?
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
But is it possible to open up the Intel Mac mini and connect a regular SATA cable to the motherboard and to an external hard disk? Through the security slots, perhaps?

Probably. Maybe? Someone did something similar to the PPC Mini and the internal IDE:

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/mini/

Have at it. But please make it better looking that that one.

Razz

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inky wrote:
Oo, very nice. I was nervous about removing the Airport card and doing the Ram upgrades, but this seems pretty easy to do now.

It doesn't look that bad, but it makes you appreciate the location of the G4's memory slot. Man, I would love to get 2GB and a 7200-rpm drive in there over the next few weeks.
dakota650r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Just in time! Reply with quote

I ordered two Gigaram 1 GB DDR2 667 memory modules from Newegg and they came today! (along with a hard drive to go in the MiniStack that I just got today from OtherWorld Computing) This video was very helpful in installing the memory. The guy's breathing was a little distracting but the video was a great tutorial. I'm new to the mac so this was just what I needed. It would have been nice for him to have covered a cpu upgrade as well but I'm sure someone else will tackle that. I wonder if the Intel Mini is capable of being overclocked? I remember some guys in Italy overclocked their G4 Mini. I've been building and overclocking PC's for years but I had no idea what to expect from the Intel Mini. I'm very pleased. The extra memory makes a noticable difference, especially when there are a bunch of windows open and the dashboard has been opened once. I noticed that the widgets aren't loaded into memory until the first time you call up the dashboard. Prior to the memory upgrade, it seemed like once you've done that, things slowed down a little. So what are you waiting for? Go order a couple sticks of ram and get to it!!!! Very Happy
STS-5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Just in time! Reply with quote

dakota650r wrote:
I ordered two Gigaram 1 GB DDR2 667 memory modules from Newegg and they came today! (along with a hard drive to go in the MiniStack that I just got today from OtherWorld Computing) This video was very helpful in installing the memory.

Do you have a direct link to the memory from Newegg? I have a 1.66GHz Mac mini coming this week!
dakota650r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Link for ram from newegg Reply with quote

gigaram 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820221043

Huge upgrade from the 2x256 sticks that came with the CD (Core Duo) Mini. Everything is smoother and faster. Switching users back and forth - no problem. Several apps going after you opened up the Dashboard (those widgets remain in the memory once you've opened up your dashboard) - no sweat. Converting mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 - piece of cake. Even running PPC programs under Rosetta - it can handle it with ease. I love my CD Mini Very Happy
The only bad thing I have to say about this memory is that it is almost $10 cheaper this week than when I got it Crying or Very sad
Oh well.
Mac Mini - $799 + 2 sticks of gigaram - $210 = $1009
or
Mini with 2GB preinstalled ram - $1099

I learned a bit about my CD Mini and saved $90 in the process!
Now if I can ebay the sticks that came with the Mini I can save even more money!
mac.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowadays ! The links seem to be down Crying or Very sad
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac.com wrote:

They seem to be working for me.
mac.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
mac.com wrote:

They seem to be working for me.

Yes, it does work but because of my 15" monitor, I couldn't see the video ! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: