123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whatever happened to the rumors about a larger mini ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhmac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Whatever happened to the rumors about a larger mini ? Reply with quote

In a way, i was kind of disappointed they didn't come out with a slightly larger box ("Mac Midi" anyone ?) with a 3.5" hard drive, and maybe room for a video card, regular RAM sticks, and maybe more ports. Right before the Mintel came out, I was hearing conjecture about this. Though I like the size of the Mini, I'm kind of holding out for maybe a slightly bigger box or a Mini "Rev. B". Any good speculation to convince me to keep waiting? Thanks.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those weren't really rumors...more wishing out loud than anything else. (especially by those Cube fanatics!) Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lhmac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and when you think that regular memory sticks and a 3.5" drive could be cheaper/bigger/faster, and a video card slot could eliminate a show stopper for a lot of buyers. Thinkin they also probably didn't want to give up the new form factor so soon either. Yo Steve, how about an affordable and upgradable mid line machine?
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it wouldn't happen. But a Mac that is component standard width, 17" like most receivers, DVD players, etc.
With a slot-load Superdrive, 3.5" 160- 500GB HD, max of 4GB RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Mac Edition.
In eiither regular silver aluminum or black annodized aluminum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no rumors, just people wishing.

Nothing like that will never come out, it is too much like budget "beige tower" Windoze machines that Apple separates itself from. The only full size Mac is the PowerMac, and it will stay that way. The mini is great as it is, as is the iMac, and the Powermac is for power users, who need all of the power they can get, which requires the larger tower.
macfox

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac Mini was always going to be the constant small form factor low cost Mac for every day consumers.

Originally positioned to replace the eMac, low cost entry Mac, as well as an entertainment to the competitor - Windows Media Centre and Intel ViiV concept.
247 Photography
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: wishful thinking Reply with quote

I agree that it's only wishful thinking, not a likely possibility anytime soon.

My wish for a "Mac Midi" would be:

Only slightly wider box (same depth and height), containing:
one 3.5" 7200 rpm disk drive;
one ExpressCard slot;
the same optical drive options;
four memory slots. up to 4 Gb RAM (same modules as now);
T-type Core Duo processor and better cooling;
cover attached by captive screws, torx;
and OS X Server bundle option.

No remote control.
No need for video card options.
No need for more ports; 1 FW, 4 USB.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOMRAIDER wrote:
I know it wouldn't happen. But a Mac that is component standard width, 17" like most receivers, DVD players, etc.
With a slot-load Superdrive, 3.5" 160- 500GB HD, max of 4GB RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Mac Edition.
In eiither regular silver aluminum or black annodized aluminum.

I still say that Apple's PVR/home theater/whatever solution will have this form factor.

And Walt Mossberg in the Wall St. Journal says they are working on that solution, so it must be true.

Razz

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: