123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I stream TV through my Mac Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: How can I stream TV through my Mac Mini? Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone reccomend a USB 2.0 tuner card that I could hook up to my Mac Mini so that I can watch TV on on monitor? Over the last several years, I've wanted to do this but the reviews for these TV tuners have not been that great.

Thank you!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Elgato TV Wonder USB 2.0 is great but I don't personally own one. Some of the features require dual G4 or G5's so you might want to read into it and see if you can do without those features.

http://www.elgato.com/downloads/EyeTVwonder/DataSheet_wonder_E.pdf
iLife's a Bitch!
akeros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was also interested in this. So it seems that to view TV and record VCD quality single G4 like mini should be fine, but if you want to record with better quality you need more power.

I guess only someone who has a mini and a dual powermac AND the eyeTV, can tell us if everything is smooth on the mini and up to which quality.

Anybody here fits the bill ?
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be quite honest, I do not care to record TV to the Mini. I have an external DVD burner for that. I only want to watch TV. Besides with the lack of quality TV today, nothing is worth recording anymore.
akeros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you might just be happy with this then Smile

Worth asking for a trial at your local mac provider, isn't it?

EDIT: By the way, I've just noticed you joined the forum the same day as me lol Well done mate!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.eskapelabs.com/mytv.html is a division of Hauppauge and they make a USB TV Tuner for the Mac. It should work with the mini but it's USB 1. I would probably go with the Elgato since it's USB 2.0.
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out the EyeTV USB 2.0 and it's like $299 after the rebate. Holy Cow. I was just at Sams Club and they sell a 15" HDTV for $299. Either way, too rich for my blood until I find a job.

Thanks guys!

Pat
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it for 136.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007M1D6Q/
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
You can get it for 136.99 on Amazon. /

Thanks mate! I just ordered it. Here is the review on it. For watching TV it's awesome, but for recording its only so so. Which is fine for me.

http://www.macworld.com/2005/04/reviews/eyetvwonder20/index.php
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on, it says its an analog box. Does that mean I can not see my digital channels on the Mac? That will not work as I need to be able to watch the baseball package I have with Comcast. I might wait now. Do some research on this product.

thanks
Pat
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea its analog but you may be able to trick it using your cable box and setting the TV Wonder to a preset channel like 3 or 4. I'd email them and ask about digital cable.
DellApple

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Yea its analog but you may be able to trick it using your cable box and setting the TV Wonder to a preset channel like 3 or 4. I'd email them and ask about digital cable.

Their website says that EyeTV 500 is the only model that supports digital cable. Thanks anyway; I should be saving my money anyway. Wife will kill me! Smile
hoping

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: tricking the box Reply with quote

I don't have a mini (if anyone would like to donate one feel free) but I can tell you that with my TV setup, we have the digital cable box plugged into the vcr then into the TV (for reasons too complicated to list) this setup offers multiple outputs (depending on your vcr) and you may be able to send the signal from there to the tv tuner and change the channel with the cable box.

hope this helps
dgpdx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DellApple wrote:
To be quite honest, I do not care to record TV to the Mini. I have an external DVD burner for that. I only want to watch TV. Besides with the lack of quality TV today, nothing is worth recording anymore.

If you want a single-monitor solution without recording you may be interested in my setup. I've got the component output from my digital cable box going into a View Sonic NextVison N6 video processor. $199 at: http://viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/nextvisionn6/
This box has both VGA and DVI output ports and coax audio ouput. I run the VGA ouput to my monitor's VGA port and the audio to my sound system (a Boze Wave Radio). My Mac Mini uses the montor's DVI port and sends its audio to the N6 box where it's passed through to the radio.

My monitor (see below) switches automatically to the active input. If your monitor has only one input then you'll need a switch. There are several available, both for DVI or VGA, some even automatic (the cheapest solution would be the manual cable swap, of course. Wink

Since you watch baseball, you'll need a monitor no slower than 8ms, otherwise a pitched ball seems to stutter its way to plate (very annoying!). Believe me on this, I went through several monitor returns before finding it out the hard way! I use the View Sonic VP191b and am very happy with it. Even standard def TV looks better on it since the N6 will interpolate to the higher resolution of the monitor vs. a TV set. HDTV looks great on it!

Standard disclaimers apply: I am not financially associated with any products mentioned herein.
--
Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: